Recent content by Tim-DIYer

1. Tim-DIYer

Framing a door

I'm just too unfamiliar with this type of framing and so are many other people I've talked to. Mentioning balloon framing seems to send them into confusion mode. Seeing the studs directly below the joist made me think that it helped to support it. That's been my biggest concen is that, sure...
  2. Tim-DIYer

Framing a door

I need to "rework the framing" because as I posted originally, I am putting in a larger door. The door in the picture is about 26" wide. I'm putting in a 36" so it will extend past the current opening into at least two of the studs that are supporting ceiling joists.
  3. Tim-DIYer

Framing a door

I have learned that the lumber used is actual size 2x4 and 2x8...etc. My concern is that the studs on each side of the existing door support the weight of the ceiling joists, so both sides are supporting weight. I just don't want to hack those off and have it sink on me.
  4. Tim-DIYer

Framing a door

I am currently doing some work on my home (built in 1885). They previous owners put in a door, but did not build a frame for it. They basically cut out an opening and slapped it in. So, unlike other projects they did, I am starting somewhat from scratch. I now know that my house was built with a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks