Recent content by therinnaiguy

1. therinnaiguy

New High Efficiency furnace

If installed right, the goodman will last as long as the Lennox. More service orginazitions will also be able to repair it . Lennox parts are only available to certain service organizations.
  2. therinnaiguy

Furnace Troubleshooting Help

On a call for heat, the 24 volt thermostat sends a signal to the control module. The control module will indicate a call for heat with a light on the control either blinking or remain solid depending upon model. The inducer (exhaust) blower will purge all gasses from the furnace and pressurize a...
  3. therinnaiguy

Help me understand 2 stage furnace?

Are you sure? Goodman furnaces are OK for a cheap furnace. Prior to purchasing, research all the help sites that deal with HVAC questions. I do and have seen a greater number of Goodman questions and issues compared to American Sandard, Trane and Carrier brand furnaced. 10 to 1 or better in...
  4. therinnaiguy

Budgeting the installation of a high efficiency gas boiler in Boston

Times are tight Look into a Munchkin boiler made right outside of Boston by Heat Transfer Products. www.htproducts.com. I have put a number of them in with and without the indirect water heater and my customers love them. They have much of the same engineering as the over priced Viessmann but a...
  5. therinnaiguy

HWH and Boiler?

save money Check out the boiler made by Luna called the Baxi. It is a combo boiler and will give you heat and hot water. Saves you a grand each unit. Make sure the rate of hot water is enough at 3.5 gpm.
  6. therinnaiguy

Filter relocation

Filter The easy way to do it is to go to a sheetmetal shop with a filter in hand large enough for the return air grill and have them make up a filter rack for you. Bring with you the grill so they can modify it. It would be to your benefit to have them mount 2 hinges and a securing tab on the...
  7. therinnaiguy

Preventing pipe freezing

freeze moving water takes more energy to freeze. You can devise a way to keep the water always flowing, move the pipes or add anti-freeze to your system. Always install a back-flow devise if adding anti-freeze.
  8. therinnaiguy

some radiators not working

Purge Try purging out the system with fresh water first. Get as much flow through the complete system available. If you can bypass the boiler and increase the pressure above 30 psi while you are purging, it may help to flush out the crap. If not, set your pressure to 20 and let it purge for 1/2...
  9. therinnaiguy

Only 1 of 2 Heating Zones Works

Issue Change out the zone valve or zone circulator for the troubled zone.:p
  10. therinnaiguy

Advice for slab addition

TOO Big the 431 is way to big for that area, go with the 263. You will not condense as much and subject the heat exchanger and vent system to all the corrosive by products you will get with the larger unit. Of course this will not help in cooling the area and you will need to run a gas line to...
  11. therinnaiguy

Undersized Baseboard Radiation?

Not Enough? Check with the manufacturer of your baseboard. They will be able to tell you how many Btu's per foot it will put out at a certain temperature of water. For example, typically you will get 580 Btu's per foot at 180 degree boiler water with Sterling standard baseboard. Calculate your...
  12. therinnaiguy

Computer Equipment Room and Fresh Air Circ with HVAC?

Fresh Alaska Air Get yourself an ERV (Heat Recovery Ventilation unit) and duct it into your home. Very cost effective and it will do what you want it to do.
  13. therinnaiguy

Connecting PEX to copper?

Push Pex I have used both expansion joints, crimp-on joints and push-on joints on PEX. All have performed to my satisfaction.
  14. therinnaiguy

Supply line design and size for 2nd bathroom

Home run it Check out the new plastic (PEX actually) water lines. They are easier to use, have less elbows for greater flow, are a good DIY'er project and cost way less than copper. Run a 1/2" line from your water main and as close to the water heater as you can to each new fixture. This way...
  15. therinnaiguy

Need a powerful tankless/Washington DC

Tankless Check out the Rinnai Commercial tankless water heaters at www.foreverhotwater.com. Measure the temperature of your cold water (50 degrees or so on the coldest days) and compare it to what temperature water you want (typically 120 degrees), the difference between the two will give you...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks