Recent content by thegallery

1. thegallery

Reconditioning a deck with rusted screws

My neighbor's deck seems to be OK except the builder used drywall screws! They are rusting. Some are backing out on their own, and some break when you try to remove them. Should we try to remove the screws we can, or try to sink them in? And if we sink in and the head breaks should we dig it...
  2. thegallery

Top Freezer working, Fridge is failing

Thanks for both these replies. Ice was building up in the back of the freezer when we pulled everything out (it is frost free). So I'm not sure if it was the drain line or the heater around the coil or what. Our short term fix was a thorough defrosting. I can tell you though that in the...
  3. thegallery

Top Freezer working, Fridge is failing

Hi, not sure where to post this. I'm overseas with a US fridge, Whirlpool. The freezer is working the but the fridge failed and started getting warmer over a couple of days. A repair man came out and said the insulation at the back was finished and it was icing up back there. We defrosted it...
  4. thegallery

adding an outlet next to a switch - a bit confusing

Thanks very much for your help. Yes the wires look weathered but they are actually fine. It all works like a charm. Thanks again.
  5. thegallery

adding an outlet next to a switch - a bit confusing

Hi. I have a garage light switch that is 40 years old and failing. (please see photos). It's a 15amp circuit. The circuit also leads to two outlets upstairs. I know the line seems to be comfortable handling most of my shop tools because I’ve used an outlet on the circuit next to the garage...
  6. thegallery

faucet stem problem - semi urgent...

I just replaced two tap stems in one bath and figured a separate shower facet in an adjacent bath would be the same. I figured wrong! So I go to take out the whole stem but when I try turning the large brass nut at the back it doesn't move? I put a lot of force with a pipe wrench on it but no...
  7. thegallery

Indoor Grilling - downdraft - jenn air

I've always heard that indoor grilling needs to have a downdraft vent; is there a particular reason why? Jenn Air has pretty much dominated the market for indoor grill options and all their cook tops have downdraft vents. Mine doesn't seem to suck out the steam down that great. For all I...
  8. thegallery

Any Downsides to a Macerating Toilet

Saniflo units are fine and have been used for decades now. Most reviews are very positive. I've had mine for over a year with zero issues. If you're concerned fork out a few hundred extra for the SaniBest which is commercially rated and used in motels and such. It's a lot noisier though...
  9. thegallery

bathroom wiring; one circuit?

while I've got you Chris; if you wouldn't mind a some more electrical questions... 1. In a old light/receptacle circuit I relocated some switches and removed a receptacle. The original feed wire I've kept because it would be very hard to replace. It's 40 years old; seems to be 14-2 and in...
  10. thegallery

Thanks Chris, It's a very small bathroom under the stairs, but it has a shower and therefore the fan is very important in that small space. Unfortunately my book mentions a bathroom circuit 4 times, and in the write up it says 20amp circuit, but in the picture captions it says 15amp...
  11. thegallery

I'm wiring a small bathroom I have: Hunter 100 CFM fan with 100watt light Saniflo Saniplus up-flush toilet. (think it is 7amp) (needs GFI circuit) One outlet by sink for blow dryer /shaver I'd like to send one line to the sink outlet which wold be GFI can make the rest of the...
  12. thegallery

Stabilizing a Knee Wall

My neighbor's house (exactly the same as mine) had cut out a large space between the kitchen and the dining room creating a knee wall. It's not super stable but you can lean on it and it feels pretty solid; I just wouldn't run into it. So I cut mine out the same way and I'm wondering if I...
  13. thegallery

Kohler Rialto Toilet Seat Removal

I know this is an old post, but did the kit come with new anchor bolts? I was able to remove mine by turning and prying them up with a wonder bar at the same time. They look like a compression anchor of some kind, but they cannot be used again. I'm hoping replacements exist?
  14. thegallery

SaniFlo Question...

I receive my saniplus system tomorrow. As far as venting they say in their literature that all US codes require venting. But, at the same time, in every single picture I can find relating to their system, including both promotional images and customer's installs, the vent hole is plugged and no...
  15. thegallery

PEX Pros and Cons

I found some other idealists asking the same question on other forums and like the answers here they talk about how auto hose clams are definitely not suited for the pex system. I’m now liking the idea of the expansion system most but the cost of the tools, including a cutter and remover...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks