Recent content by techsavy

1. techsavy

Navien Tankless Water Heater Comments and questions

If you followed the installation diagrams published in the Navian product installation manual, then you could be up for some challenges right off the back. Notice that the pump on the Navien CH combi-boiler is on the boiler loop outlet inside the unit. Notice also that they recommend placement...
  2. techsavy

Set-point can play a very important role based on the design of a tankless water heater. Some tankless water heater manufacturers are known to use bypass valves (controlled or fixed) to assist with heat exchanger protection and temperature stability. If the bypass is controlled, setpoint will...
  3. techsavy

This is actually not the way to go about this. Your tankless is not a boiler and therefore cannot be used in the manner described. Your tankless must heat domestic water directly. You can add a heat exchanger to heat the space indirectly, but keep in mind that there are rules guiding how much...
  4. techsavy

Actually, you are not very accurate here. Yes, tankless tests are all done in the same manner, which means that Navian's A models are tested in the same fashion as the competitor's brands without a buffer tank. It also means that the Navien A model is tested without the pump in operation, so...
  5. techsavy

Where do the others rank in your book? Who is at the top of the crop?
  6. techsavy

Tankless info from consumer reports, Tankless...Bahhhhh

Did you notice anything missing from the list? Condensing tankless is nowhere to be found. With PVC 636 venting of condensing tankless, I wonder what the installation costs comparison will look like.
  7. techsavy

I have not personally done any tests, but it looks to me that the efficiency depends on temperature set-point as much as it does on length of usage and firing rate. You would have to look at the effects of temperature set point and of firing rate vs. heat exchanger longevity to identify the...
  8. techsavy

Agreed that temperature control and flow rate are both more important. But which tankless provides both features better than any other manufacturer does? according to the Center for Energy and the Environment, Noritz wins on both counts. Don't get me wrong, Rinnai is a very good unit, but I...
  9. techsavy

By the way, the Center for Energy and Efficinecy has a report out that states that none condensing tankless water heaters performed at highere efficiencies under low flow conditions than Navien condensing tankless water heaters with Buffer tanks. Keep in mind that none condesning units are...
  10. techsavy

I am suprised that you prefer Rinnai over Noritz. If you want to speak about ease of installation, the Noritz concentric vent products are easier to install than Rinnai. No cutting of venting required and no gluing required unlike the Rinnai concentric. Also don't fortget the 25% thicker heat...
  11. techsavy

I do not believe that you Paloma unit has a dual flame burner. As of the time of this email, Noritz is the only water heater with a Dual flame burner. They also have an eco burner on their new line of products. By the way, Rinnai is also up there in terms of quality, but I would have to say...
  12. techsavy

Hmm...4% difference in efficiency eh? Hi nhmaster, You claim that tankless water heaters are only 4% more efficient compared with tank type water heaters. Could you provide us your source? From what I understand, even the best insulated tank water heaters have efficiency ratings...
  13. techsavy

Problem with Takagi & Radiant Heat &Domestic Hot Water

He used his water heater for four years, not problems. Didn't maintain it, and now it doesn't work any more. Okay, lets blame it on the water heater why don't we. Fact of the matter is everything needs maintenance. Unfortunately, the people that were sent to this guy didn't know about...
  14. techsavy

Could it be that the upstairs is connected in series with the recirculation pump that runs the heating application? If this is the case, your upstairs fixture simply will not operate unless the pump is running. Take a look at the set-up and see if there is a pump located before the line that...
  15. techsavy

So your Takagi worked great for you for four straight years without any problems. I am assuming you didn't maiuntain it throughout those four years. You probably also have the unit installed in a laundry room. This type of installation would cause the burners to slowly plugg up and lead to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks