Recent content by SugarHollow

1. SugarHollow

Fragments of ceramic bowl went down toilet, now what?

I decided to leave the Sani Seal gasket in place after talking to the guy who invented it. He told me the wrinkles would eventually settle against the inside pipe wall. In any case, no problems with anything so far.
  2. SugarHollow

Fragments of ceramic bowl went down toilet, now what?

So, my son's toilet backed up. While trying to unclog it by conventional means, I heard a rattle that sounded like ceramic or metal rattling inside the toilet pathway. Asked my son if he dropped anything in there. He said he dropped a ceramic cereal bowl on the adjacent vanity, which...
  3. SugarHollow

The Drake

The Drake :D
  4. SugarHollow

Possible causes for air in my water lines

Tonight we had a dramatic episode of air in our cold water lines. After running multiple sinks for several minutes, it seems to have passed (at least for now). No discoloration. We are on a county water system (pump station is about half-mile away). Called a couple neighbors who said their...
  5. SugarHollow

Two rings, or not two rings, that is the question.

I have read many threads here and talked to several plumbers regarding how to seal a toilet to a flange 3/8 inch below floor level. All my bathrooms were tiled and they left the flanges where they were, so that the top surface of the flange is 3/8 inch below the top surface of the tile...
  6. SugarHollow

Connecting Pex tubing to frost free sillcock

Thanks, hj. Just one more question. It just occurred to me that if I thread a drop ear elbow directly onto the hydrant, most likely the pex inlet end will not be oriented in the direction I need if I tighten the threads completely. Can the threaded connection remain water-tight if I have to...
  7. SugarHollow

It seems to me it's twice as much work as just attaching an elbow directly onto the hydrant, and it pulls the pex tubing farther out from the drywall (to which it is attached above) making the finished work appear odd to me. I'm just wondering if there was a good reason for doing this. Maybe...
  8. SugarHollow

I probably just should have posted pictures of my situation; I'm probably going about this wrong. The anti-siphon part of this hydrant is busted so I have to replace the hydrant (I can't find any replacement valve, I don't see any brand or manufacturer name on the hydrant anyway). So you can...
  9. SugarHollow

True, but there are many plastic fittings in my home which were installed by the builder's plumbers. I just want to know whether there is a compelling reason why I should not use this swivel fitting to connect my pex supply line to the outdoor hydrant. Thanks.
  10. SugarHollow

You're right, they are available. I can use that, though I don't need the ear, and it will look a bit strange just suspended unattached to anything. But can you tell me why that is better than the swivel elbow? Why would you avoid the swivel? Thanks.
  11. SugarHollow

I want to use an elbow but I can't find one other than this swivel.
  12. SugarHollow

Is it safe to attach my pex supply line to a sillcock (outside spigot) using a threaded swivel adapter? http://www.pexuniverse.com/pex-x-female-swivel-adapters
  13. SugarHollow

Shut-off valves leaking

Follow up Necessity forced me to fix one of these leaking valves. I shut-off of the main water supply to the house then completely removed the valve stem (piston). There were two rubber washers and one metal washer on the stem. The metal washer had hardened deposits on it, which I dissolved...
  14. SugarHollow

Closet flange Questions for professionals or experienced DIY's

I want to understand what I see in these pictures. This is a toilet flange - drain pipe connection. There is a ragged edge on the inside of the flange. I assume this was a capped flange and this edge is the result of the cap being cut out. Am I right? Is this the typical condition of a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks