Recent content by Smokeykurt

1. S

First time living on well water. Some help/advice needed.

Regarding testing/iron You'll want to test the water before treatment, before the softener, as that will tell you what you're dealing with from a hardness and iron standpoint. If the iron before treatment is above 2-3 ppm iron, the softener might have trouble keeping up with it. If you're having...
  2. S

Help please! Chlorination system is busted, have bacteria/unsafe well water, looking for replacement solutions.

Well, I've added a 5 micron filter right before the UV, and now sanitized everything after it. Haven't gotten to the well sanitizing yet, but that is now on my spring/summer to-do-list. Thanks again for everyone's help and input :D
  3. S

Help please! Chlorination system is busted, have bacteria/unsafe well water, looking for replacement solutions.

Think this sanitizing process for UV and after would make sense in the interim before I get the chance to sanitize the well? I'd do it right after I put in the sediment filter housing before the UV install...
  4. S

Ah, ok. for some reason I thought it could go either before or after the softener (at least's that's what the Agway guy told me, although they didn't reference a sediment filter in my original convo with them regarding UV, so maybe not the best people to ask lol). Regarding filters: I have...
  5. S

Hi folks, just wanted to update and say I finished my install! It goes like this: Well Pump -> Bladder tank -> AIO (with ozone) filtration system -> Whole House Carbon Filter -> Inline 5 micron sediment filter -> Water Softener -> UV light Appears to be working great thus far, and I...
  6. S

Can a DIY guy install/replace a water softener?

If you can handle a relatively easy amount of plumbing, you can handle this. I've bought online before without issue (although I suppose folks mileage might vary). I'm a DIY guy (with medium plumbing experience) and it's probably been the easiest plumbing I've ever had to do. Depending on your...
  7. S

First time living on well water. Some help/advice needed.

For the water test, did you test the water before your softener or other filters? To understand the right system(s) to put in, you'll likely need the pre-treated water information. It sounds like your water test was after the softener, which, maybe at the time the softener and filter reduced the...
  8. S

Thanks much for the links to the tests. I guess I didn't think I'd be able to do those at home. Pretty neat! I think I've decided to go the UV route for now, and will additionally sanities the well when I get the chance. Thanks for the help bud!
  9. S

I read (and bookmarked) your post, and that indeed seems like a surefire way to sanitize the well system! Very in depth and I do think something I would like to do at some point. Think my biggest issue will be getting that amount of water. My nearest neighbor is pretty far off and in that...
  10. S

Hi Worth, I appreciate the input, but I have actually gone to my local water experts (Agway folks being the most helpful in this instance). They're the folks I paid for the water testing and had previously installed the chlorine system quite some time ago. The system layout in my first post is...
  11. S

Hi All, I'm new to the forums, so if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it or let me know! To start off, my home has/had an older chlorination system consisting of a pump, tank for the chlorine/water mix, 120 gal retention tank and a whole house carbon filter. The system was...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks