Recent content by SHR

1. SHR

Braided or corrugated stainless, or copper flex for water lines?

Do not ever use the stainless steel braided water heater lines, especially the HD stocked lines. The inside black rubber-like material disintegrates and results in little black chunks of material breaking away and in to your water. This results in clogged valves, supply lines, faucets and...
  2. SHR

Kohler Cimarron - Installing the Tank?!?

Not a very handy man...
  3. SHR

Kohler Cimarron - Installing the Tank?!?

Your "plumber" does not seem to be a plumber since they used toilet seat bolts to anchor a common toilet tank! No paid professional who installs toilets would confuse the two bolt types. Keep an eye on that "plumber".
  4. SHR

Replacing a "Richmond" tank...brand recommendation?

I hate HD and would love to join you in bashing their water heater, but they have not stocked Richmond branded water heaters for over 12 years. So not from HD unless it was a specialty heater special ordered. Rheem branded some of their retail special order heaters "Richmond". Richmond was sold...
  5. SHR

Basement drain backup

Clogged sewer line. Call a professional other than Roto-Rooter. They are franchises and many of the franchisees do not run reputable operations. Just this past Saturday I ran a camera and then a snake through a new customer's main sewer line to clear a minor root intrusion that had caused a...
  6. SHR

Long Tailpiece Remedy..Vanity Drain Configuration

Old closed thread. Sorry I inadvertently re-opened. Never mind.
  7. SHR

Questions about a newly installed shower stall.

Yes, as I mentioned back in reply #8, whoever chose the shower pan you have did not know what they were doing. If you chose it, I am sorry that the salesperson did not know their product or did not care about selling you the wrong shower base for your installation. If the pro chose it, they are...
  8. SHR

Drain Cleaning Tips!

hj said: ↑ I have been cleaning drains for over 60 years and have NEVER had a "chemical burn". hj you are fortunate. I have a master plumber friend who had to take disability retirement due to drain chemicals from a floor drain backup eating through his footwear and burning the skin off both...
  9. SHR

The people at "A web site called The Wright Inspector" are evidently related to many of the home inspectors I have to follow-up on and do expensive repairs on defects they missed. They do not seem to have any idea about shower stall installation.
  10. SHR

Weep holes, overflow holes??? NO. You are being led down a really wrong path. The shower base (I bet Vikrell material) was MADE to be installed with a specific set of proprietary wall panels, not anything else. Those indentations are anchor holes to align the proprietary wall panels, that is...
  11. SHR

Water distribution re-plumb

Oops, guess I should have paid more attention. The Tru-Gap comes with the bracket for 3 inputs but you can add an additional bracket for a total of 6 inputs. The extra brackets are available separately as accessories.
  12. SHR

Water distribution re-plumb

6. What's the best way to terminate the condensate & pressure drains into my floor drain? I need to handle 6 lines (2-condensate lines (W/H & HVAC), 1-T&P discharge, 1-softener discharge, 1-W/H drain pan & 1-dehumidifier discharge). "Mr Stop" posted the answer already at #2. The Tru-Gap is...
  13. SHR

Mixed Repipe - PEX for Hot Water and Copper for Cold Water?

Do the whole re-pipe in PEX. Unfortunately you have been given misinformation about PEX health hazards. PEX is safe and appears to be superior to copper in chemical resistance and longevity. To answer your second question; the pressure is NOT affected by pipe diameter. The flow rate may change...
  14. SHR

Model Numbers Differences at Home Depot

Home Depot's plumbing merchants (most other retailers call them "buyers") used to have unbelievable good plumbing knowledge for corporate types. They grew up in the plumbing supplies business. Not anymore. Most of the shelf space in the HD stores are leased or bought by vendors who use their...
  15. SHR

Model Numbers Differences at Home Depot

I know for a fact the replies on this thread are right on. The items at the big box stores, with one exception I will explain later, are exactly the same as the parts with the same part numbers at the supply houses. The Brasscraft valve example is just a case of HD making higher margin on a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks