Recent content by ScrewedByNCGC

1. ScrewedByNCGC

Mold - Probably Old News

More pics. Powdering material was actually foam. It became brittle for some reason. Most of the silvery insulation material inside was "crispy" and tore easily; behind it was dried out, mouldy foam. This is a Trane heater/air handler in the crawl space, TW036F14 I think.
  2. ScrewedByNCGC

Mold - Probably Old News

My wife was complaining about severe headaches for the last few weeks. She was told it was allergies and instructed to take antibiotics but it didn't seem to help. She got another opinion and was asked if she had been exposed to mold lately. After I heard that, I went down to our crawl space...
  3. ScrewedByNCGC

Leaking T&P Valve

I put the tattle on the outside faucet closest to the water heater. After three days, it shows 56 psi. I have another gauge that I moved around to the other two faucets and they read on average 42 psi, but when my wife runs the washer or turns on and off the tubs I observed the needle swing...
  4. ScrewedByNCGC

Leaking T&P Valve

You are right about the plumbing of the expansion tank -- it is on the cold water input side. The T&P valve drain tube that runs into the ground is clamped with pex, the expansion tank has copper + pex. I'm confusing myself.
  5. ScrewedByNCGC

Leaking T&P Valve

Wait -- which one is "for the expansion of heated water" and which is connected "on the incoming cold side?"
  6. ScrewedByNCGC

Leaking T&P Valve

I did not yet get a gauge with the peak needle but I have a gauge that I connected for the last two days. In the mornings, the pressure is reading 29 psi. When I come home from work, it's reading 40 psi and before I go to bed it's reading 41 psi. I also tapped my keys on the expansion tank...
  7. ScrewedByNCGC

Leaking T&P Valve

I've got a 50 gallon low-boy that has been leaking for about 3 years. It's a Bradford-White or AO Sloan, not sure which. I never exactly knew where because it was so slow but in the past 6 months it got to the point where I could see an occasional drip from the temp & pressure valve drain...
  8. ScrewedByNCGC

Toto 1.6gpf -- Long Term Leak

Some more photos of the work so far.
  9. ScrewedByNCGC

Just to be clear, the new flange sits atop the tiles, it does not contact the plywood subfloor nor does it sit on the backerboard. I am worried about the new flange cutting or splitting my new tiles. The pipe hog was too expensive for me and I had to buy the guide as well; I also read that...
  10. ScrewedByNCGC

I appreciate the advise from all the contributors to this thread. Thank you.
  11. ScrewedByNCGC

How about the flange mount. This one wasn't even sitting on the backer board. There were globs of thinset underneath one side of it, probably to jack it up. The tile on the left side was cantilevered maximum of 1" between the gap in the back and the actual flange. The ram bit looks like it...
  12. ScrewedByNCGC

I've stopped using the upstairs b/r for at least 45 days. The downstairs walls have dried out; I poked around the bottom of the subfloor with a small screwdriver and it does not appear rotted for some reason. In any case, I removed the wax ring and posted more photos. Anything between the...
  13. ScrewedByNCGC

From my perspective hiring a plumber and a bldg contractor from around here does not appeal to me at all; on the other side of the coin I don't have any experience working on tile or toilets. Is the flange extension a reliable, long-term fix or more like a band-aid?
  14. ScrewedByNCGC

I am the original owner of a house bought in 2003. Dec 2008 I discovered a large water stain in the kitchen ceiling. I also noticed the hardwood floor beneath the stain was cupping. I cut out various areas of drywall and discovered rotted wood beneath what appears to be waste piping from the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks