Recent content by runderwo

1. runderwo

Clogged shower drain

Amazing. Without a trace of a problem since I last posted here, the whole problem came back, almost to a tee! It all started when my fiancee finished off a garbage disposal about a month ago. Apparently, before the old disposal kicked the bucket entirely, it had been spewing partly-ground...
  2. runderwo

Where can I buy 10/2 Al wire?

Supposedly, a scotchlok nut with a flame-free antioxidant, the wires scraped and pre-twisted, and with no more than 4 wires to a nut, is considered a good connection -- if not UL listed. But definitely do not use any regular wire nut that isn't a "spring" type, or those UL listed Ideal purple...
  3. runderwo

I think in some local areas it may beagainst code to use it, but the NEC still allows it? Looks like there is new construction using copper-clad aluminum today... not solid aluminum like I have.
  4. runderwo

Apparently I'm "lucky" since I'm told in the 70's some branches were wired #12 AL which can only carry 15 amps safely... but with a 20 amp breaker installed anyway...
  5. runderwo

O.M.G. I don't think there are words for the level of unholiness that is stuffed in that box now :eek: but I'll try anyway. I pulled some slack out of some existing Al wire in the house and cut off about 6 inches, enough for two jumper wires to git er dun The panel wiring is 10awg Al. There...
  6. runderwo

Could you post a google images result for the type of connector you are talking about? I understand your method if the connector is what I'm picturing in my mind. I guess the other option is to install an extension or two on top of the box to give me more room, pigtail all 4 aluminum wires...
  7. runderwo

It was the first place I looked when I realized that no supply house would sell it to me locally... no luck there either...
  8. runderwo

I guess I hoped somebody on here would see this post and sell me a piece...
  9. runderwo

I have a 4 wire 10 gauge Al junction that I need to add a 12 gauge copper wire to for a total of 5 wires. There is nothing that will connect the 5 dissimilar wires and meet code. So I need to use a small Al jumper wire (use a Scotchlok B/G nut for the 5 10awg Al wires) and then pigtail the...
  10. runderwo

I want to buy a length of 10/2 Aluminum branch wire for repair in an aluminum wired house... even the electrical shops around here won't sell in qty less than 250 feet. All I need is something like 3 feet of it.
  11. runderwo

Junction box is a fortress

OK, I have this feeling I am missing something obvious. Above my garage ceiling there is a double-stacked junction box. I am trying to get into this box to redo the wiring. All the wires are in the top box (there is a switch wire, a supply wire, and two fixture wires). The bottom box is a...
  12. runderwo

Clogged shower drain

We both took showers today and no sign of any water in the wrong place yet... fingers crossed.
  13. runderwo

Enlarging stud holes for sillcock

If it's not done shifting then I have to get it piered :( I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that it is in fact done shifting though. That all depends on what I do about the soil drainage and how the weather treats me. I guess it would make sense to just re-establish the original hole all the...
  14. runderwo

Clogged shower drain

Just for clarification, I poured acid down the shower drain which clogged later, not the bathtub in the other bathroom which was initially clogged. So about 10pm last night I noticed that a lot of acidy water had come back up the shower drain. There was about an inch of water sitting in the...
  15. runderwo

Enlarging stud holes for sillcock

Well, the way the house is settling, the outer stud has moved relative to the next outermost one. That caused the sillcock to be "pinched" between the two studs. Same thing happened in the front, which actually damaged the sillcock beyond repair. Knocking out more brick is necessary but...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks