Recent content by rschmitty

1. rschmitty

Steps for diagnosing sewage smell?

Thanks Reach4, we have been keeping the basement items in use at least once a week. There are 2 sinks, 2 toilets, and 1 shower. Each saturday I will flush both then run water in sinks and shower for a few minutes. I assume it doesnt take much water to fill up the P trap? Since I work in the...
  2. rschmitty

Steps for diagnosing sewage smell?

Moved to a new home and we have an occasional sewage smell that we detect in non-bathroom rooms. There were 2 owners before us, and the 2nd owners finished the basement. No idea if it was DIY or professional. Sometimes when we flush a toilet in the basement we will get a whiff of sewage smell...
  3. rschmitty

Sealing air leaks

I noticed some nasty air leaks from around the windows and was just wondering what is recommended for sealing? Here's a picture of the biggest gap 5/16 inch http://img183.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=window139.jpg around most parts of the windows the gap is very small, 1 to 2 16ths For the...
  4. rschmitty

Bathroom Exhaust Fans - keeping things out

Thanks basement_lurker, a project for tomorrow It exits from that lil overhang of the roof downward outside. I'm fairly certain that is it as I taped up some syran wrap over the toilet fan last night and this morning theres about 6-8 flies between the syran wrap and the fan
  5. rschmitty

Bathroom Exhaust Fans - keeping things out

Looking for some kinda system I could install (or pay to have installed if beyond me) to prevent flies from entering our bathroom via the exhaust vents. 2 windows in the bathroom, only 1 opens, both are sealed and caulked well so I'm fairly certain its the exhausts. I'm pretty close to...
  6. rschmitty

Leaking via Backflow Preventer

OK actually perhaps a silly question. I see there is a shut off valve to stop the input water from entering the tank above the backflow preventor (yellow handle in the picture on the right) and the black one going towards the pump. Do I have to worry about water coming up towards the...
  7. rschmitty

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a try myself!
  8. rschmitty

You are correct, its a Watts 3/4" 9D-M2 I live in Grand Rapids MI. Are the shut off valves a problem itself or only when someone shuts off the flow to the expansion tank? It hasnt dripped in the past 30 minutes, so it must be pressure related. The only other water related thing I can...
  9. rschmitty

I have a Bradford White MIITW75T6EN12 water heater that has recently started leaking cold water out of the backflow preventer. I felt both the pressure release pipe and the backflow pipe, only the backflow was wet. Back in winter we had a mixing valve installed so we could supply hotter...
  10. rschmitty

Loud clunk when humidifier turns off

oops.. 'now that its working' sorry
  11. rschmitty

Loud clunk when humidifier turns off

Recently I had a humidifier repaired, it needed a new solenoid. The humidifier never worked since we moved in but now that it is working, anytime it shuts off there is a loud clunk that can be heard around the house. When I stand in front of the humidifier it doesnt sound as loud as I would...
  12. rschmitty

Loud screech / hot pump

thanks, so after air is purged should it be tightened all the way back? and when water comes out, i know the air is fully purged? should the pump be running or off when purging air? would just like to make sure im covering all the bases
  13. rschmitty

Loud screech / hot pump

Short version: I had no idea what I was doing (and thus should not have fiddled) but thought I should adjust this pump: http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/8070/pumpcloseupne6.jpg I first turned the middle screw in the direction of the arrow thinking it meant 'open' but it just kept turning and...
  14. rschmitty

Water Softener Problems - runs, but doesnt work

No idea who installed it, no name or contact was left on the unit or in any paperwork that came with the house. House was built 2001 so I'd imagine this unit was in shortly after. Well I finally was able to get the head off with a friends help and a few good hits. I couldnt see any resin at...
  15. rschmitty

Water Softener Problems - runs, but doesnt work

unit is operating in the correct direction. waiting on a second pair of hands to help try to get head off still I took some pictures from unscrewing a sink faucet and letting some water out at high speed from the bottom of the tank. I had thought 'media' was round balls, but this looks...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks