Recent content by Roy Nakamura

1. R

soldering a slip coupling tight spot

Okay...I'm not a plumber but I saw these solderless slip on couplings at Home Depot the other day. I've never used them or heard of them before...but would they work well in this application?
  2. R

Toilet due to be replaced?

Speaking as a Landlord...PLEASE write him a note and hand it to him when you pay your next rent. It can't be a good situation and you don't want the toilet to fail because you're going to be the one with water on the floor. Also...you don't want him accusing you of breaking the toilet with a...
  3. R

Main line leak

Ah....like Mike said above. From the Landlord's perspective since the renters don't pay the water bill they generally don't care if the water is leaking. I had a water bill ...yeah about four times the usual (and here's the kicker...the City of Los Angeles has an excess sewer charge fee if the...
  4. R

Washer

Cookie...glad it worked out! :)
  5. R

Tub spout -- broken pipe

Adman...maybe it's time to get a quote on replacing the mirror :confused: As I said before I'm not a plumber and as a landlord I have done many 'creative' repairs...something I'd never try or do for my own home. First I'd try the heat and attempt to clean out the elbow...and if that...
  6. R

Tub spout -- broken pipe

Adman...you must be one strong guy :p I'm not a plumber...but maybe a plumber will chime in. Is it possible to touch the remains of the copper pipe through the tile hole and heat it in such a way so you can pull out the remaining copper line from the fitting? (then wire brush the fitting...
  7. R

Please Help-Water spots soaking through carpet

I just remodeled one of my rental units last month. I ripped up the plastic tile floor in the kitchen and noticed that the wood floor was a little moist. I ripped up the subfloor and there it was...appearently 15 years ago somebody pierced the copper supply line with a very small nail...
  8. R

Sidework?

Hj...thanks for the explanation. I know here in California the state is not sympathetic to the unlicensed tradesmen. I’ve wondered how handyman companies like “Rent a Husband†or “Handyman Services†work around the dollar limits imposed by the State. I’m an engineer by profession...
  9. R

Sidework?

I hope as a newbie here I'm not out of line. If I am please accept my apologies. Wouldn't a typical 'side-job' be something small in nature such as replacing a value stem/washer or swapping a toilet out rather than doing black steel work? Anyway...one thing I have noticed in my many years...
  10. R

Sidework?

BTW...when I'm torching a fitting close to studs I always keep a big cup of water near by. So far...I haven't burned down any structures but I have charred a lot of studs and sheetrock...hehhhehehehe.;)
  11. R

Sidework?

I'm not a Plumber or a union worker ... but I can sweat a fitting. If any of my friends or family ask me to help them with a project...and I have the time...I bring my torch and tools...and they supply the beer. I guess I'm looking at this from a very different perspective. I own 13 rental...
  12. R

Garage Conversion

Good luck with your conversion. Just an FYI...if your local ordinances are similar to ours here in Southern California such a conversion in most likely not permitted. There's a host of code requirements that make a garage structure conversion to livable space unfeasible. Also if your...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks