Recent content by rickst29

1. rickst29

What does Toto mean by "close coupled" ?

Does this mean that the distance, from a line between the two seat bolt holes and the tank, is shorter than the distance on other models, or something else? Thanks in advance.
  2. rickst29

AC Refrigerant lines: Braze or Solder?

There *is* a solder which works great.... but you will not find it in an orange or blue/white "big box" store. The problems with plumbing solder are: #1, the joints are too weak; and #2, it can't handle the stresses and vibration which A/C lines experience. Stay-Brite-8, however, does a...
  3. rickst29

Water Heater Questions

Don't forget! Code (and safety) probably REQUIRES some kind of base. I don't know the exact code requirements of your Province/City, or even your Nation. But in the USA, gas fired burners and pilot lights must be installed at least 18" above garage and basement concrete floors, and I'll bet...
  4. rickst29

"Traditional" BW, or "Condensing" BW, or "Condensing" American?

Agreed. I'll ask DW about pulling the trigger tonight. Yep, I'm using the actual therms, not the total dollars in the bill, then working backwards into a water heater "cost of use". But the killer issue is filling the tub, I've got to have a much higher 1st hour and recovery rates. Now-- as...
  5. rickst29

Flex lines - code?

CA requires both strapping AND flex lines. And in my nearby location, Reno NV, it's the same. (We get earthquakes too.) The flex-line final, with a bend and a few extra inches of length, keeps the gas supply connections at and inside the WH from cracking up if the water heater, or the pipe, move...
  6. rickst29

120F not hot enough?

Here's what I think.... and the really funny thing is about this is, I think EVERYONE is correct in nearly ALL of the previous posts! First, I agree with others who have labeled Marc Edward's claim (quoted in post #1), as absolute hooey. The phrase "water-born outbreaks" means multiple cases...
  7. rickst29

One interesting difference between the two condensing units... The shipping weight of the big-tanked, glass/ceramic lined BW unit is 570 lbs. (The lengthy heat transfer/condensing coil adds a lot of surface area, and it has to be lined on both sides. That's why it's 200 lbs more than the...
  8. rickst29

answers for questions above (from HJ and R.W.Bison in #1 and #2) OOPS! I left a typo up there which seems to have misled HJ badly. I'm writing this as a combined reply, because both posts are with respect to that key issue: the actual difference in annual saving figures. I mistakenly said that...
  9. rickst29

I'll be needing a new natural gas water heater, due to installation of an 85 gallon whirlpool/spa bathtub. I'd love to hear your opinions about four alternative models which I'm looking at. There are two "special factors" at my location, which might effect your recommendations: 1) altitude 5200...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks