Recent content by Rick.a

1. Rick.a

Tankless with varying incoming pressure from well tank/pump?

Well in that case, I should be fine. The tested hardness level in our water is very low. We also have never seen any buildup at any fixture. But I still would like to know how much pressure we would loose if I install a 30µ cartridge filter. Or for that matter is it just a waste of time to...
  2. Rick.a

OK, it's done. I have installed the tankless (several weeks ago) and have used it long enough to report back to everyone. I have a Rinnai 53i and this unit just fit into the tight vertical clearance in my crawlspace. I got this specific model because of it's low vertical requirement. Space...
  3. Rick.a

will NPT fitting work with IPS fitting?

Are these 2 standards the same? Or do they have different taper, or thread count or pitch? I tried to look this up but got more confused than ever. I now know what they stand for, but will they fit together properly and not leak. Using 3/4" brass fittings. thanks,
  4. Rick.a

What's the max size of drain/vent pipe that I can I can put thru a 2x4 stud?

OK, thanks for all the replies. I think that I can run the vent inside the cabinet far enough to get into the open wall channel, without having to create the bow vent. rick.
  5. Rick.a

A kitchen sink under a window is quite common, and if I cannot bore a 1 1/2 inch hole (more than 40% of a 2x4 in a load bearing wall), then how do you commonly do it? I need to get through a single and a double stud under the window in order to get to the cavity that runs up to the top plate and...
  6. Rick.a

I will shortly be re-doing all of the plumbing in a small bathroom and adjacent kitchen. In order to vent properly I will need to run ABS thru several studs, then through the exterior wall top plate. What is the max size pipe that I can run through these framing members. I am in MA, which...
  7. Rick.a

2 inch flexible aluminum duct vent available?

I want to install a fresh air intake on my Pellet stove but the kit from the manufacturer (Quadra Fire) cost about $100 which is outrageous. Even the dealer said "make it yourself". I can find the parts to to this myself with the exception of the aluminum flex tubing. I need 2 inch and cannot...
  8. Rick.a

Hi, I'm back. Well, this thread certainly grew some legs. Ok, this is what I have and what I intend to do. Unless you talk me out of it. :-) I have a small cottage with just my wife and myself. I modified the crappy orignial well setup that this place came with 4 years ago with info. that...
  9. Rick.a

Thanks Dana for the confirmation. By the way, do you know if the plumbing code in MA requires that the T/P relief valve be plumbed to a drain if using a tankless in a cellar (actually a crawlspace with concrete floor)? Rick
  10. Rick.a

Thanks for the reply. Winter incoming water is about 45 deg. Summer is about 55. The unit that we have spec'ed should give us the flow rate that we need with the 60 deg rise in the winter. What I do question is whether the fluctuating pressure will cause problems with the Rinnai unit if the...
  11. Rick.a

I have a small house with a well and pressure tank set to produce between 30-50 lbs. pressure. This works great. We now want (actually need to for space considerations) to install a tankless WH but wonder if the varying pressure from the well tank is going to screw things up with the tankless...
  12. Rick.a

laundry drain size?

We don't have space for a laundry sink so I will need to just hook it up in order to try it. But since 1.5 used to be the code and modern washers use LESS water, I now only worry that the RATE that the new front loader machines pump out the water might be a problem. Do you think that using a...
  13. Rick.a

Vent size?

What is the smallest size of vent pipe that can be used to go up from the stack and through the roof? Total load is one toilet, 1 lav sink, 1 shower, 1 kitchen sink. I live in MA if that matters. thanks,
  14. Rick.a

laundry drain size?

I am installing a clothes washer as part of a bathroom remodel and want to connect it to a drywell that is technically illegal in MA but allowed since it is preexisting, and grandfathered in. The problem is that the drain pipe in the basement that goes to the dry well is 1 1/2 in. I know that 2"...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks