Recent content by Rich B

1. Rich B

Anyone have any sealer tricks....

This Repair, toilet install is now 8 years old and is leak free........Toto Vespin.....works great. Fernco from PVC to CI..... The Copper to PVC Fernco fit perfectly..... I wet tested it for a good amount of time before I installed the ceiling Next time I will call a plumber though as...
  2. Rich B

Which toilet seal...

I removed a toilet a few months ago that I installed at least 30 years ago. Brass flange, lead bend....not soldered where the flange sits over the lead and the lead bend at the flange is not in very good shape. I have the ceiling open underneath the toilet also. There is almost no evidence of...
  3. Rich B

Toto VS American Standard

I installed a Vespin about 4 years ago and it does the trickling sound and is very annoying to me. This bathroom is above a kitchen and the noise is easy to hear when that toilet is used above. I came here to ask about a fix and also thought about spraying some foam around the plastic trap way...
  4. Rich B

2" or 3" concentric

I have 2 Rheem condensing gas furnaces. Installed one in 2006 and used 2" PVC for both the exhaust and inlet air pipes....both go into a concentric vent. It is a short run from the furnace to the exit....about 20 feet total. The furnace works fine and has since day one.... I installed a second...
  5. Rich B

The poll -- Phasing of Voltages out of a Transformer

I was thinking of the circuit as being open ended and the resistors were there to represent 2 separate 120 volt loads....... A 4 wire generators output is wired like this, well sort of but not exactly...........minus the resistors and there is no transformer....add a rotor to where the primary...
  6. Rich B

JW I have no formal electrical training...just years of working on machines and trying to understand. I fix welders and generators. Some very complex stuff today. Makes my head spin and hurt but I learned to read prints and how to components on my own...
  7. Rich B

I voted with JW before I read his post.....The secondary side is all in phase...
  8. Rich B

Humidifier Drain and AC Overflow Problem

I have lived in the same house for 42 years. Never had more than a puddle in the basement and in just one spot where the floor is low. No sump pump and no floor drain. I always had a condensate pump for the AC and never had a problem with it. It is actually a 2 family home and has 2 separate...
  9. Rich B

Humidifier Drain and AC Overflow Problem

I would have removed the tee entirely in that horizontal pipe run. Extend the clear plastic line down to the drain pipe. Install a tee or a santee type fitting in the vertical run if possible.....No way that would back up....Lots of plastic fittings out there to make that clear plastic line...
  10. Rich B

Voltage drop

"It is best to call the power company, not 911...." I agree but did not have their number handy.....now I do.....and will call them first and then 911. In a freak early season snowfall a few years ago......trees and branches came down everywhere pulling down service drops. I went out side in...
  11. Rich B

Voltage drop

I drove home from work about 3-4 years ago and as I pulled into my driveway I noticed some wires hanging down from the pole that services my home. I have had TV cable wires cut and dropped before and they are on the same side of the house as my service. Trucks passing on my side of the road and...
  12. Rich B

Voltage drop

I have never seen anything that was 240/480 and it does appear to be showing that in the drawing..... No such thing around here......anyway... 480 is common but is 277/480 and also 120/208 or 120/240 ......and all are 3 phase usually in commercial buildings... Residential Service power is...
  13. Rich B

Voltage drop

I repaired a 5000 watt Generac generator yesterday. Owner never said what was wrong with it so I had to check it over for myself. After fixing the carburetor, starting it and running it and checking all the outlets I found normal 240 volts at the 240 twist lock......low voltage at the...
  14. Rich B

Gas water heater bonding

Barefoot in the snow? Chamber pot? Say what? What year were you born and didn't they have shoes in North Carolina then? I am 66.....Lived in a cold water flat as a kid.....third floor.....We had a bathroom....running water....it was cold unless we ran the nat gas hot water heater in the...
  15. Rich B

How to get propane electric generator started.

Propane powered engines hate the cold. I have 2 propane powered forklifts in my shop. If I let the one I use most sit outside in the winter it is very hard to start and usually will need some help to get started. You should not see anything wet on the sparkplug but it may be condensation. We do...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks