Recent content by Raybies

1. Raybies

Another sewer gas mystery

These are all great suggestions. I will bleach the trap and give everything a good clean out and also try the bread bag idea – sounds like fun! The smell we get is definitely sewer gas and it is usually only noticeable after we used one of the toilets and even then only if the outside...
  2. Raybies

Thanks for the input guys. When I realized the gas was coming from the tub I began keeping the drain covered except when we take a bath. This has stopped the gas completely although it is obviously a temp solution. There is no overflow on this tub but gas does escape through the stopper...
  3. Raybies

It turns out the sewer gas is almost certainly coming from the bathtub only. So it is a venting problem but the gas doesn't come through any other tub, sink or toilet in the house. I'm thinking it must be a problem with the installation of this bathtub. If we leave water in the tub overnight...
  4. Raybies

Getting a little technical for me here, I’m afraid. We have a furnace but I don’t know if it’s a condensing version or not and I don’t know if it has a trap. To the best of my knowledge, the heater didn’t come on at all so far. We primarily use a wood fire and it hasn’t gotten cold...
  5. Raybies

Hi Phil, That’s a good question. There is a bathtub right beside the toilet but we use it every day so the trap water couldn’t possibly be evaporating. However, my wife now says she thinks the smell might be coming from the tub rather than, or in addition to, the toilet. I’m not sure...
  6. Raybies

Neither, We have a community water system. In fact, the water main runs past the end of our drive and has been leaking for a couple of years. It is eroding the public road but that is downhill from us. The weather here warmed up again so I'm not getting the sewer gas smell for now and can't...
  7. Raybies

My 2nd attempt was with the Fluidmaster waxless but that didn't stop the smell either. Hard to know if I botched the fitting somehow or if the seal is not the problem at all. Life is full of mystery, isn't it
  8. Raybies

Hi Mikey, Thanks so much for your answer. I will give the saran wrap a try. I did consider switching the toilets but the problem one is a big beast and hard to deal with on my own. That’s why I wanted to know if the defective toiled theory was in the realm of possibility before I tried...
  9. Raybies

We have an intermittent sewer gas problem in one of the two bathrooms in our new home. We really only notice it after using either of the toilets during cool weather. At those times the smell is strong, though. The other toilet has no problem. I replaced the wax ring clumsily; then tried again...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks