Recent content by Ratherbefishing

1. Ratherbefishing

Delta shower rough valve installation

I have the instructions. After I found some stonger glasses to read the tiny print, they still seemed kinda cryptic to a first timer. Online is easier; larger print! But harder to carry to the jobsite. Then I guess I had a late night brain fart. 1.5 inches from the back of the studs = 2x4. That...
  2. Ratherbefishing

Delta shower rough valve installation

I hate to ask such a basic question, but.... I'm about to install my new Delta R1000 rough valve. What size wood do you guys use for the stringer? By my arithmetic, it looks like it should be about 1.5 inches from the back of the studs. Shower framing is 2x4s, 1/2" permabase, Kerdi, 1/4" thick...
  3. Ratherbefishing

which waterproofing system for new shower?

JW, I am the tilesetter, plumber, framer and electrician on this project. So I'm learning a lot. The framing is straight and square, tho there may be a few more pieces of wood than an old pro woulda used. The last piece of Romex I ran looks better than the first, but they all passed inspection...
  4. Ratherbefishing

John, All that's done so far is the framing and plumbing rough-in. The shape and dimensions don't work for a store-bought pan, so I figure I'll build it myself. Walls will be 1/2"(?) cement board. Tiles haven't been selected yet, but my wife is leaning towards a subway shaped ceramic. Shower...
  5. Ratherbefishing

Plumbing for my new bathroom is almost done. Insulating should go quickly. So, I'm on to thinking about the tile. The shower is 3x4', no tub; tile will probably go to the ceiling. I'll be making a mud bed. What waterproofing system do you guys recommend for a novice? I'd planned on Kerdi, after...
  6. Ratherbefishing

Oatey flux

I fought for a day, trying to get a decent joint with Oatey #95, tinning flux. Then, I tried Oatey #5, paste flux. worked like a champ. I even went back, cut out and re-did the three joints I did yesterday. The #95 had come in a "kit" with solder, brush, emery cloth. What's the #95 good for...
  7. Ratherbefishing

intro & rough plumbing question

I got thru the bottom plate today. Came in from the bottom at a 45 degree angle, thru the ledger, rim joist, subfloor and bottom plate. For the sink, I started at the top, notched the plate, like we did for the drain. Then I came up from the bottom with a 1" spade bit. It looks like a beaver...
  8. Ratherbefishing

Thanks. The 45 degree through a notch in the plate was my best idea, too. That's how we did the sink drain. The wall isn't an exterior wall anymore. But it was. Now it's between the bedroom and new bathroom, open to the studs, gonna be drywalled. Shower's not an issue; pipes come up in the...
  9. Ratherbefishing

Hi all. I'm signing in from Atlanta, Ga. I've been reading and lurking a while, but this is my first post. I'm getting ready to start the plumbing on my master bathroom addition. Since it's an addition, all four walls sit over rim joists and block walls. There's no access to any bottom...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks