Recent content by Rap

1. Rap

gas water heater timers - are they worthwhile?

HJ, Thanks for that. So, the demon in the mix appears to be the pilot light - around the world there might be as many as say, one billion (i've no real idea) pilot lights burning up one big PG&E bill when its all totalised. We owe our grandkids better.
  2. Rap

water & growth on top of my water heater - replace or repair?

dgold, Have you now changed out the water heater, or merely fixed it up a little? Perhaps post pics showing both(?) appliances and how the common vent leaves that room/space? A drain pan might be a good idea. The pump appears to be blocking access to the burner cover - what is the pump...
  3. Rap

Necessity of Vacuum Relief Valve - Not Pressure Relief Valve

I'm with Mark on this and his general take on valves. I've learned from him. Caduceus, you dont actually say anything beyond a general ramble, for example, i'm sure that most folks know that there are different types, makes and makers, of w/h's out there. I'm also sure that you have much...
  4. Rap

Thank you both very much for your informative replies.
  5. Rap

Are gas water heater timers worthwhile? I've never seen one in operation, and the reports by consumers and plumbers are mixed. The energy lost in make-up time seems to be the main criticism of gas w/h timers. However, this seems like a replay of the arguments of some time ago that a...
  6. Rap

message for terry

Terry, this post has nothing to do with the above - I dont think so, anyway. I'm having difficulty reaching the terrylove.com site except by a roundabout route. I keep getting directed to an international web page hosting site. It's not major, but it's a nuisance. Perhaps you can help?
  7. Rap

Urgently need help with leaking basement

You have cracks in the floor slab and water can be seen seeping through. Seal the cracks as the other guy said. Do you have guttering - to my mind, a necessity in a freeze zone, esp. if you have a basement. Gutter down pipes should lead to falls, away to a sump. Grade around the house should...
  8. Rap

Anyone know whats happening at the waterheaterrescue.com site?

The forum at waterheaterrescue.com site seems to have disappeared, and an email to them is rejected as a spam suspicious email. I'm a long time registered member so this is odd. Anyone else use them, and is also having difficulties with the site?
  9. Rap

So. Ca. Gas rule no Bonding at the water heater.

I've noticed a few posts on the issue of bonding at the water heater. FWIW: So. Ca. Gas have a regulation, "No Bonding at the water heater" - it's not permitted because they consider it to be an unsafe practice.
  10. Rap

gas meter code(s)?

Ref. gas meter code req's. for an externally fixed meter. I've just read in another place claims that, One, 3/4" plugged test tee's are not typically required in the gas pipework immediately after the gas meter. If this is correct, then how do you test the installation? Two, that after...
  11. Rap

multi head shower rough-in?

Could anyone direct me to a diagram/pics of a multi-head shower rough-in?
  12. Rap

Tempering Valves for residential water heaters.

Thank you both for your replies. Sorry for the delay, I've been on an enforced absence. I guess this subject is now dead, but i do still wonder.
  13. Rap

Tempering Valves for residential water heaters.

Tempering valves(T/V) used with residential water heaters (W/H) - aka ( i believe ) Thermostatic mixing valves. 1. Their main function appears to be to protect from scalding, ( how often do first line of scald defence, residential w/h thermostats fail without isolating the gas/power?) 2...
  14. Rap

Thank you both for replying. hj, i will answer in a while.
  15. Rap

jadnashua, thank you for your post ref. New England code req's. Do you have any diagrams or pics of approved N.E. installations with both fittings in place? I ask because diagrams and pics on the web show all manner of confusing arrangements where tempering valves are installed in residential...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks