Recent content by polychromeuganda

1. polychromeuganda

Fleck 9100 SXT valve problems returned 60 days after replacing seals

Thank you to all the forum members for your many insights and suggestions. Yesterday UPS delivered another set of seals and spacers and a tube of genuine DOW Molykote 111. I'll try simple maintenance one more time on the off chance I nicked one or more seals on insertion, and the greater...
  2. polychromeuganda

dittohead - I'm not going to try a sediment pre-filter, first because no water test or anything else in the use history has ever suggested a need for one, and second because the equipment would be either a big wet mess to disassemble to replace a disposable filter core that had to be sourced...
  3. polychromeuganda

Reach4- Yes, the brine tank has lots of water, and there's no brine draw. All of those steps, except the seals, were tried the first time around, there was nothing plugged or clogged and it was all cleaned etc to no effect more than once which was frustrating at the time. Changing the seals and...
  4. polychromeuganda

Advice selecting and installing water softener

Not sure why no one has mentioned it, but the Federal government has long listed ion exchange resin bed water softeners as effective for radon reduction. I chased down the actual research chain and it doesn't involve large numbers of sites and types of equipment, but IIRC the experiment was...
  5. polychromeuganda

my bad... I'm pretty sure I was using this one http://www.quickcutgasket.com/pdf/Chemical-Resistance-Chart.pdf Re-checking I'm pretty sure I lost my column scrolling down and I was looking at Nylon. Cross checking with a couple other sites confirmed Noryl should be good with the...
  6. polychromeuganda

The untreated water was in the 1st column, and the iron level was a typo. Untreated Well Water TDS 45 pH 6.5* Total Alkalinity 29 ppm Total Chlorine 0.0 ppm Total Hardness 82 ppm Total Hardness 4.8 gpg Copper 0 ppm Iron 0.5 ppm (mg/l) re: "Massive inefficiency"... Can't tell if you mean the...
  7. polychromeuganda

Drain size for kdf and carbon back washing filters

You should have no difficulty creating an air gap just terminating the backwash line into 2" with some vertical above a trap. I would think 1.5" would also be fine. Any problems with the line capacity between there and the street will be the only thing to watch for a gotcha. If it solves a...
  8. polychromeuganda

I hate to encourage trolls, but I need to hear from anyone who's dealt with a similar valve problem, so... A cartridge does trap sediment, and if you buy a replaceable element type you get to see what it traps. I've filled a swimming pool quite a few times and seen literally nothing settle to...
  9. polychromeuganda

I should have added that the water analysis 3 years ago was before/after a 33 year old softener with single 1 cu ft. tank run by an autotrol 155 valve shortly after regenerating. The resin bed depleted increasingly rapidly and the resin bed treatments ceased to be effective, prompting the...
  10. polychromeuganda

No sediment cartridge, its not needed, there's no sediment. There hasn't been any sediment since it was flushed after drilling. Except for the clear iron, its really good water. The well is around 260' deep in granite bedrock, the soil is shallow (<20'). There's 120' of casing, the pump is set...
  11. polychromeuganda

Unless someone has seen this happen before and has some idea for a useful repair I think I should replace the valve with the brass 9000 series Fleck or a Clack twin tank valve. 3 1/2 years ago when I installed this the Clack twin was new but apparently quietly available to DIY types. I don't see...
  12. polychromeuganda

Advice selecting new softener...

Thanks to those replied to my request for advice, esp the 9000 vs 9100 and for this forum in general. I've ordered a Fleck 9100SXT twin tank softener with fine grain resin, 1.5 cu ft tanks, stainless threaded bypass, tank insulating foam jackets, and a rectangular brine tank with a support grid...
  13. polychromeuganda

I stand corrected. After some searching on the Clack site I found brochures for the valve with three different timers the WS1EE/EI/CI twin. There is also an OEM Operating and Service Manual. They all appear well written and complete. These also show up elsewhere on the Internet if you steer the...
  14. polychromeuganda

Water softener connection issue

OK, in some semblance of the order in which you brought them up... 1) ...cant get to copper pipe without cutting drywall... This would be much easier than the plumbing nightmare you've had. You use a utility knife to cut out a rectangle that overlaps the studs, when you're ready to close up...
  15. polychromeuganda

At the beginning there was a saga with the rationale for twin-tank, but to put it in a nutshell, after 35 years we're sick of getting a faceful of iron or salt in the morning shower 5 or 6 times a year. My understanding is that Clack exited the DIY market about a year ago, and will cut off...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks