Recent content by plumbbob

1. plumbbob

Radiators still only bleeding air...ideas?

So I shut off the system, left the fill line open and still only get air coming out (upstairs). I looked at the fill line and there is a B&G reducing valve (model 110192) with a 'flip lever' on the top. It seems that water only enters the system when I flip the lever up. Inbound water...
  2. plumbbob

radiators only bleeding air, no water

ok, fill line is open...still only getting air So I shut off the system, left the fill line open and still only get air coming out (upstairs). I looked at the fill line and there is a B&G reducing valve (model 110192) with a 'flip lever' on the top. It seems that water only enters the...
  3. plumbbob

radiators only bleeding air, no water

Hi - i've been noticing our (hot water) radiators have been in need of bleeding (cold at the top, hot at bottom) so I went ahead and did it yesterday. I shut off the system, turned off the fill line and bled the radiators. I started on the downstairs units and they bled air to water just fine...
  4. plumbbob

Good source for stock/base plans?

I've got a customer that just wants 'a bathroom and laundry' in their unfinished basement. The nice thing is we've got freedom to do what we want...the bad part is that i'm not a designer. The could hire someone, but really don't want to. Anyone know a good source to get some stock plans...
  5. plumbbob

Tub won't drain

may not be hair... I fully support the 'snake the drain solution' We had a similar problem in our tub and the snaking did the trick. Only it wasn't hair that blocked the drain. Well, it might have been the rat's hair...still attached to his body. Somehow the rat had made it up a few feet...
  6. plumbbob

Sewage Ejector Pump Suggestions?

zoeller it is... OK, so I'll start spec'ing the zoeller unit for my project. On the second question...any guidelines/suggestions on where to place the setup and suggestions/requirements for providing access? I thought about placing the linen closet above the area so I can pull that stuff...
  7. plumbbob

Looking for recommendations on a new tub

max size for cast iron? so what is the max size I can get and stay with cast iron? the other question I should be asking is are there any non-cast iron units that don't feel so 'plastic-y'? I've read about the kohler sok or toto units but haven't found a place here in DC that stocks them to...
  8. plumbbob

Sewage Ejector Pump Suggestions?

I've seen several brands of pumps, but have no idea which to choose. I am leaning towards little giant, but thought this group would be the best place to ask. A related question - in planning for the install, what kind of access should I allow for the area around the pump well? I would...
  9. plumbbob

Looking for recommendations on a new tub

I'm starting to plan a bathroom addition and want to get some opinions on bathtub fixtures before I start drafting anything. I'd like a nice big (6') soaker tub and prefer cast iron (or at least not acrylic/fiberglass). Not really looking for whirlpool function, but that's not ruled out...
  10. plumbbob

Leak in radiant floor, ideas?

test, and test again... I appreciate the feedback/responses. As for why not test before laying the floor, I did. I tested it to 50PSI, and it appeared to be fine. I even left it under pressure when putting down the floor (maybe a bad idea, but I thought it would alert me to a leak ASAP and I...
  11. plumbbob

Pinhole leak Toolaholic - it's a grooved subfloor installation with bamboo on top. I am the person who installed it (so I'll need to fit it) but I swear there are no nails/staples within 6 inches of PEX at any place. I was insanely careful about it, and in one or two places actually have a...
  12. plumbbob

I just finished installing the wood floor over radiant and went to do the pressure test, only to find a leak. I can actually hear the rough area where the leak is coming from (if I lay down on the floor). I'm not excited about the idea of ripping up part of the new floor to get at this area...
  13. plumbbob

Make your own radiant floor sandwich

Answers... Is the heating over concrete or over a wooden subfloor on joists? It's being installed over a wooden subfloor on TOP of concrete. We put down Dricore to provide both ventilation gap and a solid nailing surface. According to the folks I spoke with there, it's an approved...
  14. plumbbob

Make your own radiant floor sandwich

I'm about to embark on building my own radiant subfloor sandwich, and wondered if anyone had experience doing it? It's not financially efficient to use the Wirsbo (or similar) prefab products, so I was going to lay 1x6's and place the tubing in channels lined with aluminum to diffuse the heat...
  15. plumbbob

Shower pan losing water, but not leaking...

Doh! Well, don't I seem foolish! So now I have 299 of those balloons left, I guess I'll need to start booking kids parties and making balloon bunnies! I'm off to the store for the right product...Matt
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks