Recent content by PK

1. PK

Construct new well, or UV treat existing?

That's it exactly -- thanks for saying it better than I have.
  2. PK

I realized after posting my previous comment that it might sound argumentative, and I certainly didn't mean for it to be. I meant it as a sincere question without any bias intended. I appreciate all the viewpoints and advice and am learning from all of them. Thanks for the input.
  3. PK

I think the band aid concept may be the central issue for me. Does that mean installing equipment to remove bacteria is a band aid, but installing equipment to remove iron, sulfur, hardness, or other contaminants is not?
  4. PK

I appreciate the suggestions so far. I can live with either the annual cost of UV treatment or the up front cost of digging a new well. I know I have to open my wallet in this situation. I suppose I could pose my question differently. I know I'll have to treat my water, whether I dig a new...
  5. PK

We have a 50-foot-deep by 30" diameter bored well that was constructed in 1980. We've lived here for 10 years with no water problems (low pH is corrected by soda ash), until we had a significant downpour early this summer. Our water turned cloudy, and we tested positive for total coliform and...
  6. PK

Brown / orange ring around drain in new Kohler sink

Thank you for the replies. I'm not too concerned about whether it's a warranty issue or not. The more important issue for me is eliminating the discoloration and making sure it's not a recurring problem. Another drain might be able to cover it, but it would have to be at least 1/2" larger in...
  7. PK

Brown / orange ring around drain in new Kohler sink

Hi, I installed a Kohler Memoirs pedestal sink in August. By October, there was a clearly noticeable brown or dark orange ring around the drain. The ring is about 1/4" wider than the drain flange. We have well water, but we have it tested regularly and it always comes back clean and clear...
  8. PK

Toto bowl doesn't always fill completely

Okay - so I'll stick with the original fill valve and tinker elsewhere. If I can't get the bowl fill level resolved, I'll see if I can persuade Toto to send a replacement fill valve. As my first trial-and-error attempt, I moved the black plastic float down the chain toward the flapper by one...
  9. PK

Thanks for the replies. I've checked the chain, and there's almost no slack - just enough to let the flapper close completely. I'm willing to try replacing the fill valve if there's a chance another one might give a slightly greater ratio of water into the bowl. I've seen elsewhere that...
  10. PK

The fill valve is draining into the overflow tube, just like your picture shows. When I flush-and-immediately-release, there is very, very little water left in the bowl after the flush. When the tank finishes filling, the bowl hasn't filled up yet. When I flush-and-hold-one-second...
  11. PK

I've just installed a Toto Clayton (1.28, elongated), and it seems to flush fine. The amount of water that fills the bowl after each flush, however, isn't consistent. If I hold the lever down for about 1 second when flushing, the bowl seems to refill completely. I measure a water level of...
  12. PK

Can I combine brass/chrome and plastic p-trap segments?

Thanks for the helpful replies. If I use a brass extension attached to the plastic p-trap, I think I can make the connection between the two with a plastic nut. I have room against the wall to use a big wrench to connect the horizontal brass extension to the drain pipe. Some of the washers...
  13. PK

Since it's a very tight space, it's helpful to be able to install and remove the trap by hand rather than with tools. I'm not a professional plumber, so the only tools I have that fit the large nuts are huge wrenches. The sink pedestal and walls make using a huge wrench difficult, if not...
  14. PK

I'm installing a pedestal sink in a tight alcove in a bathroom. Only about 4 inches of the horizontal drain pipe from the p-trap to the wall can be seen from any angle at all. Can I use a 1 1/4" plastic p-trap assembly for all of the hidden parts, and then use a chrome-plated brass wall tube...
  15. PK

Wax-free toilet seal questions

It's not an offset flange -- just an elbow that begins almost immediately below the flange. Having the full diameter of the pipe doesn't help since the rigid Fluidmaster seal is almost the same diameter as the 3-inch pipe. The seal hits the pipe wall at the first instant the pipe starts to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks