Recent content by pinkoos

1. pinkoos

Rehau PEX any good?

The fittings to be used with the Rehau PEX are Hydro-PEX Sherlock DZR Brass Fitting: http://www.h-a-s.com/default.html My understanding is that the zinc content needs to be less than 15% (or 19%) for these to be truly resistant to dezincification. I can't find any documentation on the zinc...
  2. pinkoos

Rehau PEX any good?

Oh, forgot to ask one more thing: Are these brass fittings specific to Rehau PEX or is this an issue with any type of PEX (specifically Aqua PEX that I mentioned in my original post)? The plumber mentioned how they do something like "extruding" the PEX through the fitting or something like...
  3. pinkoos

Rehau PEX any good?

Thanks for the detailed reply. I guess I'll have to talk to the plumber regarding the fittings and what he thinks about the water here in Houston.
  4. pinkoos

Rehau PEX any good?

Can you explain what that means to a layperson? Our water is relatively hard, but we plan on eventually installing a water softener once we get the pipe issue resolved. Thanks for any help or clarification you or someone else can provide.
  5. pinkoos

Rehau PEX any good?

Continuing my progress in getting quotes for a repipe and found a highly reputable plumber who uses Rehau PEX. I hadn't heard of this brand until he mentioned it last night. Just wondering if anybody has any info on this brand. Good? Very good? Stay away? Before I heard of Rehau, I...
  6. pinkoos

Any disadvantages to horizontal repipe now and vertical later?

All good things to know. Thank you. I was initially leaning towards PEX, but then heard that one of the plumbers I got a quote from stopped installing PEX for liability reasons, but am now leaning towards it again b/c it seems that the plumbers in this forum don't have an issue with it, the...
  7. pinkoos

Our only hesitation with doing the verticals now is with wall destruction. The plumber I got a quote from last night said there will be less destruction with PEX as opposed to CPVC. We also have access panels to 3 out of the 4 bathtubs, so he said they wouldn't need to break any walls to...
  8. pinkoos

I see. But if I'm going from gal to either PEX or CPVC, then electrolysis shouldn't be as big an issue, right? There are a few copper pipes up in the attic here and there, apparently where the previous owners had leaks from gal and replaced with copper. Also, from a pure "leak prevention"...
  9. pinkoos

In reference to a couple of threads today, I'm just wondering if there is any disadvantage to getting the horizontals repiped now and putting off the verticals until some of our summer vacation, guests, etc. are over and done with? I know the general consensus is to NOT do a partial repipe...
  10. pinkoos

Rust on exterior of galvanized pipes = sign of imminent fail?

In reference to this thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?41537-Layperson-needs-advice-on-house-repipe-and-old-galvanized-pipes When I was up in the attic with the plumber last night while he was assessing the situation for his quote, we found one galvanized pipe that had...
  11. pinkoos

Layperson needs advice on house repipe and old galvanized pipes

Thanks for the replies. The info about the vacation issue is especially helpful. Looks like I'll just keep water in the lines. As for the PEX, I guess the plumbing company that's not doing it anymore is just being ultraconservative/overly cautious? As for the gal, I was told that the gal...
  12. pinkoos

Layperson needs advice on house repipe and old galvanized pipes

Hi, We're in a 30 year old house with apparently "cheap, foreign made" galvanized pipes that have started failing (previous owner had a couple of leaks a few years ago and we just had our first pinhole last week). We're in a hard water area. When we first bought the house, I got a quote...
  13. pinkoos

Can softener cause old galvanized pipes to start leaking?

Galvanized steel pipes. I need to check out the pipes in the attics. By blue-green do you mean discoloration of the exterior of the pipes?
  14. pinkoos

The remodeling done was mainly changing of the flooring. Additions were a new wing of the house that added a couple of bedrooms and a private study off the master bedroom. I'm totally ignorant when it comes to plumbing, so I guess I can go up to the attic in the different areas of the house...
  15. pinkoos

Hi, Newbie here. Found this site from googling. Excellent resource. I searched for my question here, but couldn't find any posts, so I hope this hasn't been covered elsewhere. Anyway, we've moved into a house in Houston built in 1982 and remodeled/additions made in the 90s and again in...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks