Recent content by philp

1. philp

Fireplace removal

Thanks. Yes the code is different and there has been some change to what a homeowner can do inside a detached house i.e. I'm fairly sure I could cap the gas line if the stop valve were inside the house. But mine is located on an outside wall and runs copper through the back of the chimney which...
  2. philp

Fireplace removal

I'm removing a gas fireplace as its an eyesore and we never use it. I've turned off the gas from a stop valve outside. Can anyone tell me if I need a certified gas fitter to cap the gas line or can I do it myself? (I'm in Ontario.) I'll be capping the line on the outside wall of the chimney...
  3. philp

Never used PEX Before

PEX is great in most circumstances. I ran PEX for a basement bathroom and my washer and it was fantastic as it is somewhat flexible so if my joist holes were slightly off it was very forgiving (copper would not allow this) or if my measurements were out 1/4" it made no difference - try that...
  4. philp

Low water pressure

The line in is 3/4" but drops to 1/2" before it goes through the stop valve and meter. Don't know why - old house, I guess they did things differently then. How does it matter how many fixtures there are on a branch (or even how many branches there are)? Maybe with this explanation I can...
  5. philp

Low water pressure

Don't confuse pressure and volume. Yes sorry I mean flow rate. I shall time the faucets (with nothing else turned on) and report back on the flow. Of course (hopefully) the pressure has not changed. Surely it makes no difference how many faucets are on the same 1/2" line (in fact every...
  6. philp

Low water pressure

I've added a laundry sink beside my washer/dryer and a hand basin in a bedroom. I Tee'd off the washer lines and everything seems fine except the pressure out of both new faucets is very low. I removed the hoses for the washer (which is easy and doesn't create any water mess) and checked the...
  7. philp

Upgrading house wiring

I don't have a digital camera. The garage is attached to the house so the wall the panel is on in the garage is the other side of a bedroom wall. The panel is 100A with around 18 Siemens breakers (mostly 15A). It looks like the panel is much newer than the cabling and a couple of the breakers...
  8. philp

Upgrading house wiring

Thanks. No - there is no wall board, drywall, etc. to pull off. Nearly all the cables leave the garage panel and go under the garage floor and enter the house through the basement ceiling. There is a 1-2 foot area which is inaccessible being the area where the joists end and presumably the...
  9. philp

Upgrading house wiring

My house was built in 1950. The electrical wiring has a few fixable problems (no GFCIs, outdoor outlets using indoor receptacles, no grounding, switches in inconvenient places, circuits no longer to code, too few outlets, etc.) but the main problem is that some of the breakers trip due to too...
  10. philp

Dumb question about stud walls

I'm framing a 2x4 stud wall (it is interior but will have sound proof insulation). Part of the wall is only 37" long - do I stick to 16" OC and put in an extra stud with a tiny space or do I just divide the space evenly or just make the last gap bigger? I expect it doesn't matter what I do...
  11. philp

Adding bathroom to basement

As sure as I can be! The exterior circumference is about 16" so it is definitely bigger than 4.5" and smaller than 5.5" ID. Most of the stack is 4" until it is about 2 feet from the floor where it is converted to 5".
  12. philp

Of course I have an idea on how to install the plumbing system - sheesh, just because you know (a lot) more than me doesn't mean I have no idea! My ideas are not perfect, indeed some are probably completely wrong - that's why I have asked for advice. I don't want to get into an argument - I...
  13. philp

Well someone got out the wrong side of their bed today! Just out of curiousity - have you ever done a plumbing job where you didn't apply for a permit when strictly you should have done? I've called 3 plumbers and a general contractor about this job - each one said that a permit was required...
  14. philp

My basement has no bathroom and now that I have added a home theatre it is much more inconvenient to run upstairs in the middle of the film (and for some reason it always happens at a highly dramatic moment:eek:). So I was thinking about adding a bathroom. I've worked out a layout and here's...
  15. philp

Tankless - is it worth it?

We just installed a tankless - here are my thoughts: 1. There is a lag - in our case it is exacerbated by an over long pipe run but there will always be a lag. The flipside is that we waste no energy when not using hot water. Our old tank would heat water even when we didn't use it. 2. The...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks