Recent content by Paul Somlo

1. Paul Somlo

Exhaust Backflow Prevention - Necessary?

This will be a one pipe system, most likely, unless I decide to cough up the dough for a concentric add on. I'll need to keep my 6" chase, because the flat roof is already flashed to it. Exhaust is a straight run up, no elbows, 6 ft. max. 2", 3", 4" - it won't matter.
  2. Paul Somlo

Takagi specifies 2", 3", or 4" PVC, Polypropylene, or SS. They list a 4" SS backflow preventer as an option for cold climates - I have a feeling that almost nobody ever uses these, as they're expensive, and I'm not sure they can interface with any other piping material than SS. Which makes it...
  3. Paul Somlo

I'm replacing a Takagi T-KJr tankless with, most likely, another Takagi, their smallest condenser. Current one is not a condenser and I'm using stainless steel Z-Vent (4"). The first Z-Vent section above the heater is a combination backflow preventer/condensate drain. Do I need a backflow...
  4. Paul Somlo

Recommend a Kitchen Drain and Strainer

Sorry for the late reply, just getting back to this. No dislike of brass tailpieces - with the virus going on, I'm pretty much restricted to what Lowes and HD have available for curbside pickup. And if I went with brass, I wouldn't bother with anything other than 17ga., which they didn't...
  5. Paul Somlo

Put my branch tailpiece in the lathe, used a long boring bar to cut out the baffle - problem solved.
  6. Paul Somlo

Just heard back from Oatey - they claim that their plastic branch tailpieces do not have a baffle.
  7. Paul Somlo

I need the dishwasher connection - what I don't want is the baffle inside the pipe that reduces the diameter and is clog prone. I spoke to Keeney today, they don't make anything in plastic with a dishwasher connection that doesn't have the baffle. Apparently, the chrome ones don't have a...
  8. Paul Somlo

Got my "spin and grin" from Garvin - it's deceptively heavy for it's size. Regarding tailpieces - does anyone make a plastic one without the baffle for the dishwasher (3/4" stub)? Or do I need to go with brass?
  9. Paul Somlo

Thank you Terry! Maybe I could ask another question, without wearing out my welcome? Regarding double sinks and drain design: Is it better to have equal length runs off of each sink to the waste tee, or have one sink dropping straight down into the tee and the other sink running laterally to...
  10. Paul Somlo

Ya' think? I know it's an old post - was hoping that one of the original posters would see it and chime in.
  11. Paul Somlo

Regarding the Garvin Spin and Grin - which option are you guys using? They make the standard flange nut and they make an EZ-mount option that's similar to the mount that garbage disposals use - here's the link: https://www.garvinusa.com/product-page/garvin-model-711-spin-n-grin-sink-strainer
  12. Paul Somlo

Preferred Config. for Rough Valve Inlet/Outlet

Thanks Terry and Clayton; decision made, valve will be ordered direct sweat. By the way Terry, beautiful website!
  13. Paul Somlo

Preferred Config. for Rough Valve Inlet/Outlet

What type of connections do the majority of you prefer for a Tub/Shower valve; 1/2" female IPS or direct solder?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks