Recent content by OldHouse

1. OldHouse

Drywalling a ceiling

1/4" drywall... I have about 10 or 12 sheets of it here right now. It's a special order, and can't get it through the big box places. It's a little over twice what regular 1/2" costs, but sometimes, it can be very helpful. oldhouse
  2. OldHouse

Plaster wall problems.

Don't glue 1/4" drywall to loose plaster- All you'r going to have is loose drywall then. If you can hit something firm behind the plaster, I'd use screws and plaster washers. Sink them in tight and then tape and spackle the crack, and screws. If you can't hit anything firm- and from your...
  3. OldHouse

Commercial contruction question...

I didn't know where else to post this, Please move it if there's a better spot. I am doing the planning for a commercial building design. The GC and architect will finalize everything. But, I wondered, in a commercial building: if there are two floors, and the second floor is not for patron...
  4. OldHouse

Bathroom additions

As far as Size/measurement recommendations go... you might consult the national kitchen and bath assoc. website for design recs. They have several ideas on minimum spaces and such... https://www.crddesignbuild.com/blog/residential-bathroom-code-requirements-design-tips I use this all the time...
  5. OldHouse

What is better operating system?

I would suggests exactly what Mikey said. If you aren't up for the tinkering with linux, stick to XP. OH
  6. OldHouse

Dual operating system.. is it okey?

I used to have dual boot for windows and linux. It really isn't that tough. Got tired of it, and never got around to any of the coding and such that I wanted to do with linux anyway. So, it's only XP pro for me now. :) OH.
  7. OldHouse

Japanese beetles - again!

Live in north Central PA and we are getting eaten by those pests. Just put out my trap 2d ago. Very full tonight. Need to empty it out. It is one of the yellow cross piece things as described above. Good luck!! OH
  8. OldHouse

Internet explorer or Moxilla Firefox

Been using foxfire for about a year now. Really have gotten to like it. I do like the tabs. Didn't think I'd even care at first. Have various themes now and such. Nice, simple. I like it. I don't have any problems with IE though either. There are much more important things to get passionate...
  9. OldHouse

kitchen sink

FWIW, having put an Americast sink in my last house and using it for 2.5 years prior to moving... I will never put another one in as a full time kitchen sink. As an occasionally used vegetable sink, etc it would be fine. You get black lines in it anytime you slide a pot or anything around in it...
  10. OldHouse

Soffit

I sorta like the idea of dropping the ceiling to the left of the beam, FWIW. It's not a huge area of low ceiling and certainly would hide the beam well. If you didn't want to drop it all the way, you might consider this: Find a crown moulding for the pantry area. install it such that the...
  11. OldHouse

Soffit

I think I'd have to say drywall it tight to the beam as well. I might have designed the soffit to be the same depth as the beam originally, then it might just look like a continuation of the soffit. I guess the only "advantage" to building the beam down to 12" would be that you could then run...
  12. OldHouse

Cutting out drywall, siding, subflooring, etc

Gary's method is exactly what I do- if that's of any help. oldhouse
  13. OldHouse

Cutting out drywall, siding, subflooring, etc

If you're trying to pull up wood subflooring and want to cut it flush with the wall, a rotozip won't do it either. Best it could do would probably be about an inch from the wall if you held it vertically. I suppose if you tried angling it, etc. but I can't imagine that would be a pleasant...
  14. OldHouse

Rough framing for a bathtub

What he said, and I'd add to make sure that you check the actual dimensions of the tub you plan to buy (most company websites have .pdf files with the info). Sometimes 5' doesn't really mean exactly 5'. ie my shower a 4' shower required a 47.75" opening. OH
  15. OldHouse

Venting...

Wow, that is rotten luck. Hope things progress with better fortune :) OH
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks