Recent content by oldberkeley

1. oldberkeley

Having trouble installing garbage disposal:

New disposal in new sink. Got everything in OK up to here. Last couple of steps: "Hang disposer by aligning 3 mounting tabs with slide-up ramps on mounting ring. Turn mounting ring until all 3 mounting tabs lock over the ridges on the slide-up ramps." Just can't get the 3 tabs to engage! Very...
  2. oldberkeley

Countertop guys screwed up sink install!

Terry- I hear what you're saying, but I'm used to seeing holes drilled into the bottom of the countertop, screw posts epoxied in, clips & nuts installed. If you saw this you'd be shaking your head. Just looks like amateur hack work, and this is a large, supposedly reputable granite & stone company.
  3. oldberkeley

Well, it just got worse. The sink appears to be supported by scrap pieces of 1" x 3", two in the back, two on each side, one in the front. They're all mounted at an angle, the top part against the underside of the sink rim, the bottom part screwed into the particle board cabinet base with one...
  4. oldberkeley

Countertop installation crew in our new kitchen yesterday, installed quartz countertops. Everything OK except for the undermount sink. Completely skewed, WAY different-size border on all four edges. My wife did not notice it until this morning. We are calling the company this morning. I know...
  5. oldberkeley

A few very basic disposal install questions:

Thanks for your prompt reply. One follow up: my neighbor was bad-mouthing the dishwasher inlet on garbage disposals, said that they should not be used (leak, cause problems with disposal???) and instead the dishwasher's flexible drain hose should be connected directly to the undersink drain...
  6. oldberkeley

A few very basic disposal install questions:

1. After the disposal is hung and all three mounting tabs are locked over the ridges on the slide-up ramps, can the disposal still be rotated into the proper position? Or does that have to be determined beforehand? 2. Can the dishwasher high drain loop be mounted on the back of the sink cabinet...
  7. oldberkeley

Installing a new sink and garbage disposal:

I’m replacing my old kitchen cabinet, the sink and faucet. The new sink is a single bowl with a garbage disposal. The drain is a floor drain through the cabinet bottom, at the very back of the cabinet, offset a few inches to the right. There is an existing vent coming in at the upper back...
  8. oldberkeley

Installing new dishwasher

About the holes in the base cabinet side (supply, drain, corded plug to outlet in sink cabinet): one hole, two, three? TIA.
  9. oldberkeley

Do I have the correct type of cable?

Thanks for the answer about the wire. Yes, with the #8 I'm using a 40A breaker, GE says that's OK for this stove.
  10. oldberkeley

Do I have the correct type of cable?

Installing a new Leviton 50A surface mount outlet for a range. Went to a local electrical supply place, got 8/3 W/G NM-B. Did not realize until today that except for the ground, the other 3 wires are stranded rather than solid. Is this the norm? Will it work? The outlet says "wire size range...
  11. oldberkeley

Re Leviton 50A Surface Mount Outlet:

Yep, I've got that part covered, it will be in the correct space. My questions are about actually mounting it horizontally to the wall, and if the bottom edge should be touching the floor.
  12. oldberkeley

Re Leviton 50A Surface Mount Outlet:

Need to mount this on the wall in back of a new electric range. I'm planning on running the cable through the drywall and through the rear knockout. GE says to install it horizontally. Two questions: 1. It seems to me that it should be mounted very firmly. I don't see how I can attach it to...
  13. oldberkeley

New question, kitchen remodel, using existing cable:

I'm replacing all the appliances, the cabinets, other stuff in a small 1950's-era kitchen. The basement ceiling is rather "crowded" with cables, plumbing, etc., so I'm trying--when safe--to re-use some of the cable runs from the updated panel to the kitchen. The existing cooktop has a 10-3 NM...
  14. oldberkeley

Kitchen Remodel Electrical Question:

I am using NM. I realize that it can't be left exposed in the cabinet, that's why one of my ideas was flexible metal conduit. I understand your suggestion, but just to be clear, would this also be acceptable: drilling two small holes through the cabinet back and drywall and passing the supply...
  15. oldberkeley

Kitchen Remodel Electrical Question:

OK, got the light done, that was easy, just had a brain fart--stupid question, sorry to waste your time. Back to the under sink disposal project: Using a 20A single outlet. Putting it on a seperate 20A, 12G circuit. No GFCI, switched above the counter. Got the switch installed, got the 12G...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks