Recent content by Old Dog

1. Old Dog

How to Trouble shoot this???

I'm wondering... Carl,I'm assuming from your post that you bought the house with this hookup already there...It's obvious this wasn't inspected and I wonder what other potential dangerous work has been done.I would get an experienced electrician in to take a look see to make sure you don't...
  2. Old Dog

Self-Leveling cement

If you have a large area,you really need a helper.I use a least three buckets when I've had to use this stuff.I split a bag in half between two buckets.It spins up fast this way and my helper(usually my son!) can keep up so I have a continous "fresh" supply to work with.Too thick/too...
  3. Old Dog

Framing question

I stand corrected!It sure looks like an illustration in the book though...
  4. Old Dog

Framing question

Reasons... I found a section that explains their reasons.From the Audel book:"It is more effective than the horizontal type since it forms a continuous truss and tends to keep the walls from sagging.Whenever possible , both outside and inside walls should be bridged alike. Horizontal bridging...
  5. Old Dog

Replacing entire subfloor

subfloor replacement... I prefer to use 3/4"plywood sub flooring.Definitely use subfloor adhesive (Like liquidnails brand).I personally use screws on my subflooring.Nails are more prone to leave a "squeak" behind. I take a circular saw at the right depth and use the guide up against the...
  6. Old Dog

Under cabinet fixture positioning tips

Under cabinet... I would put some thought into this.I've seen quite a few kitchens that the under mount fixtures look like an after thought.You really want them to look like they were always a part of the plan from the beginning. Depending on the cabinet bottom you may have to trim out to hide...
  7. Old Dog

Framing question

Framing question... Hey Bassman, I was looking thru one of my old Audel carpentry books My dad gave me from the 1950's today...It shows that type of angled draft/fire stop in framing details.I quote from the book about bracing and firestopping:"Angle of bracing and intermediate firestopping...
  8. Old Dog

Hello to all of you

Welcome... This is a great site.Alot of good guys and gals(can I say that?!) who bring insite and experience from all over...hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
  9. Old Dog

Does this roofing material look okay?

roof install... Correct installation is the key to this roof not leaking...Here in Hawaii fastners with neoprene washers is all you see for the most part.My house has a metal roof with these fastners and never had a leak.(annual rainfall 140"s) It's interesting how climate plays a big part...
  10. Old Dog

Electric box behind shower wall

Thats why I asked where the wire was going.It wasn't feeding another receptacle in the other room.It was in the bathroom.I didn't say it was illegal,it just looks like a sloppy afterthought.BTW,unless that floor in the other room is 10" higher than the bathroom that receptacle is about 26" off...
  11. Old Dog

getting old ... I guess i'm just getting old...that wire by the plumbing is just sloppy "I DGAF" work and shouldn't be tolerated by anybody.I'm not picking on the sparky's because I see that work in all the trades. Just a sad commentary on our profession... Still think the remark I made about...
  12. Old Dog

replace toilet flange on concrete floor

toilet flange... Some of the regular pro's will chime in when they log on in the morning... More info will help.Is the broken flange plastic or metal that has rusted away? Tile or vinyl on the floor? There are repair flanges available but not for every situation.You will have to break out...
  13. Old Dog

My Tankless Experiment

Tankless... FWIW,demand heaters are very popular here.Many people live off grid. Most are using rainwater catchment systems so there is not a hard water problem.Propane gas is what is used for the most part.People tell me they like the fact that it only uses gas when they use hot water.I do...
  14. Old Dog

Electric box... Looks like the plumber beat the electrician to the "punch" on rough in...(plumbers are quicker than most humans!LOL) Can't tell from the picture.Is the horizontal wire going to a box in the bathroom?If it is I would reroute it over the shower area.It's not agood idea to have...
  15. Old Dog

blistering fiberglass tub unit

blisters... had a problem like this on a 65' yacht I worked on many years ago in Florida... A problem with the original resins was the culprit.Water worked its way into the finish and formed blisters due to delamination.Liquid in blisters smelled like a strong vinegar.We had to cut out the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks