Recent content by Nukeman

1. Nukeman

Advice needed on line size to new home

This might help: https://terrylove.com/watersize.htm Depending on the ID of the piping material used, you might have to step up one nominal size compared to copper.
  2. Nukeman

AC Compressor is bad Looking at RHEEM or CARRIER

For your current unit, do you know how old it is? My guess is it probably uses R-22 for the refrigerant. There should be a plate on the outdoor unit that will list the refrigerant (R-22 or R-410a). This tag will also have the model/serial numbers, which can be used to determine the age. I...
  3. Nukeman

AC Compressor is bad Looking at RHEEM or CARRIER

You might consider York. http://www.york.com/for-your-home/why-buy-york/american-quality I have the York Affinity 2ton/3ton HP. It is very quiet. I like the dual speed as it runs in the low speed during most of the summer and help to dehumidify. http://www.york.com/for-your-home/heat-pumps...
  4. Nukeman

Flat vent

Assuming you mean OH. The plumbing code is typically adopted at the state level, but sometimes cities/counties within the state will have their own. The best thing is to check with your local building department. The website for Westerville, OH is...
  5. Nukeman

Flat vent

Just a couple ideas/options: If you are in OH like your profile says, that is IPC land (like VA). You can go further than 5' on a 2" line. In fact, IPC will let you go to 8' before venting (maintain 1/4" per ft). See Table 906.1. Check with your local inspector to confirm...
  6. Nukeman

Best 18+ Seer Value

I see from your other thread that you have a gas boiler and it looks like you have your heating/cooling loads all figured out. Appears that a 3 ton A/C unit would do the job. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/best-value-most-reliable-boiler.61783/
  7. Nukeman

Washing machine stinks.

Is it the same using cold water only? The only other thing I can think of is that a lot of junk accumulates between the inner tub (what you see) and the outer tub (that actually holds the water). Soap residue and other junk gets built up there and you don't see it unless to take the machine...
  8. Nukeman

Basement Shower Plumbing

Hard to tell, but is that running into a main horizontal line? If so, you are missing a vent, unless it is wet vented.
  9. Nukeman

Best 18+ Seer Value

What do you use for heat? A heat pump could be added for a small additional cost and give an additional heating source option. First thing is you need to figure out the size. It looks like you have 3 ton, 4 ton, and 5 ton condensers listed. There is a process called 'Manual J' that can give the...
  10. Nukeman

Watts FloodSafe braided connector

I have not used them, but they are known to have problems. See this thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/watts-floodsafe-not-very-part-1.26673/
  11. Nukeman

San Tee Backwards

I'm not a plumber, but I see other issues: 1. The santee from shower to toiler should be a combo (or wye + 1/8) 2. The shower vent should be vertical until 6" above flood rim (or 42" in some areas) 3. most places won't let you wet vent a clothes washer
  12. Nukeman

Measure black iron pipe

Another approach would be this: - end to center of a 1/2" iron elbow is about 1 1/8" from what I've seen - NPT pitch for 1/2" pipe is 14 threads/in 12" - 2 x 1 1/8" = 9 3/4" Each end is inserted 6-8 turns (3-4 hand + 3-4 wrench). Let's say 7 turns. So, 1/2" per side (7/14). 9 3/4" + 1/2" +...
  13. Nukeman

How can I (properly) build a simple rectangular deck?

Something like this will give you the basics. Things like footing depth and some other aspects will depend on your location. However, most of this should work in your location. You will probably need permits if doing anything beyond a repair of the old deck...
  14. Nukeman

Tv program "Love it or List it" on HGTV

Things are definitely setup on that show. There are always multiple problems and not enough budget. My favorite is when they had a big fireplace that went in the middle of the room and they were going to take it out (open the space). This would involve framing, replacing flooring, replacing...
  15. Nukeman

Gluing DWV test caps

I've used them a couple times (yellow for PVC). I used primer and cement. They worked okay for me. I also used the wingnut type as well as the test balloons (depending on location). I don't have the experience that these other guys have...just giving you another DIY viewpoint. They worked fine...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks