Recent content by Noyzee1

1. Noyzee1

Water softener ???

I agree with everything that's been said so far. That softener should never have water above the salt unless the salt is extremely low. It's timed on the start of the regeneration cycle, as already stated. The valve body itself, which is a white PVC-like material, may not be cracked, but most...
  2. Noyzee1

Can you ros recommend a good PRV?

No, the adjustment screw is usually toward the place of best clearance, to adjust if necessary. The orientation of the valve doesn't matter- just make sure the water flow is in the direction marked on the valve.
  3. Noyzee1

That's great! I don't like how the rebuild kits or cartridges cost nearly as much as the whole valve, though. That encourages waste! One more thing to mention is that I put the unit with unions on both sides, input and output, in order to facilitate change out if need be. My old one only had one...
  4. Noyzee1

Random thoughts- I put the Wilkins 70XL 1" PRV on my input line a couple of years ago (from HD). I then found an "almost new" identical one at a local swap meet here for peanuts, about $10, which I will use as a parts unit should the need arise. The Watts and Wilkins units are plentiful here and...
  5. Noyzee1

WaterGroup STF20-860 Program dial not moving

Ahh, thanks for the correction. One type is like a little fan blade, and one is like a little water wheel... http://www.enggcyclopedia.com/2011/07/mechanical-flow-measurement-devices/ I guess the mechanical types have to be physically larger because they have to drive a mechanical linkage...
  6. Noyzee1

Solar salt vs pellets

Personally, I just use whatever's cheaper, assuming the same % of purity. I've heard some complain that the pellets turn to a non-soluble mush on the bottom of the tank, but cannot verify.
  7. Noyzee1

Well, then, I would ascertain why the dial is not moving. Using the diagram above, see if you can determine whether the flow meter is working and the turbine inside is rotating. You would probably do well to bypass the unit and remove the flow meter, which can be inspected and rebuilt. There...
  8. Noyzee1

Sure, you could fix it yourself. How mechanically inclined are you? How much spare time do you have to learn the unit? Posting more information and photos can allow experienced people here to help you faster... How about this one...
  9. Noyzee1

No soft water / no salt usage with Kenmore 300

Ted, Sounds great! You may also want to check the distributor tube which connects the valve body inside the resin tank. If the O-ring slips off or is damaged, it will cause the brine to bypass the resin inside the resin tank and give you hard water output. Plus, it's hard to detect. Get some...
  10. Noyzee1

No soft water / no salt usage with Kenmore 300

Ted, Warning- do NOT use a TDS meter (just in case you're doing this). Use either some cheap pool test strips from the hardware store or get the proper test kit from a dealer (will cost $$). Personally, I use an aquarium test kit I found used for cheap which uses the reagent drops and it works...
  11. Noyzee1

13 year old GE dishwasher not draining

Hello Sluggo! I don't know if anyone has touched on this, but if not then read on... About 5 years ago, when I moved into this house I had the same problem with my dishwasher not draining at all. The problem was that the check valve on the output of the pump discharged was "gunked" up and stuck...
  12. Noyzee1

No clue what I'm doing other than trying to save $$$$

Why not just rebuild the Autotrol? Unless it's absolutely trashed, everything should be repairable. The only way I'd recommend the EcoWater units is if you 1) get one dirt cheap, and 2) are willing to learn about them and maintain them yourself. All info is on the web, and parts are easy to...
  13. Noyzee1

water softner keeps running water like it is recharging

Take off the cover and look at the "pointer" and let us know what position it's in. It should indicate "S" for service unless recharging. You can also put the unit in service mode and exercise the gear & valve mechanism. See your manual to do that. Like Gary said, it sounds like the valve is...
  14. Noyzee1

Kenmore water softener

I whole heartedly agree with this concept. If I were a contractor, I wouldn't want to deal with these softeners, but for the DIY community, of which I'm firmly planted, I think they're great if you're willing to tinker with them. Alll the documentation, parts, etc. are readily available, and...
  15. Noyzee1

why are some kohler flappers unique

I have 2 1988 Kohler Wellworths. One has a Fluidmaster Bullseye flapper and one with a generic from Ace. Both work fine, but I like the design of the Fluidmaster better ( + I like the floating chain!). Just get what's available, adjust it properly, and you should be good to go. Cheers, JIM
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks