Recent content by nola mike

1. nola mike

Replacing part of cast iron soil stack?

Yeah I will, thanks. This clamp was made for the ci apparently (they didn't have the one I had looked up online and didn't realize the difference). Hopefully won't be a next time. I do think the upper will be fine, it's tight on both sections. Bottom I can keep an eye on and get to easily.
  2. nola mike

Thanks. This is for CI, so if anything the issue should have been fitting the PVC. At this point I think I'll do more harm than good by trying to swap out the rubber. I may still swap out the sleeve. Not sure why it fit no problem up top but had an issue with the bottom connection.
  3. nola mike

So what's the difference between those? Corrugated vs not? I can replace the collar easily enough, the rubber part not so much, correct? However, my wife isn't thrilled about having that as an accent wall, so it's going to have to be repaired. At any rate, that upper connection at least appears...
  4. nola mike

Just as a follow up...wow, that sucked. I bought a snap cutter that ended up splitting the pipe worse, extending it upwards. The pipe at that location was very brittle/thin. Strangely, above and below looked fine. The snap cutter couldn't get behind the pipe higher up. I ended up grinding the...
  5. nola mike

Well thinking about this a bit more. I'll be cutting below the second floor, so it should be supported above that. At least there'll be a bunch of pipes branching off that will support it . I didn't see any collar above the first floor, but the pipe does a 90' resting on brick/framing. Which...
  6. nola mike

I have a crack in my soil stack between the first and second floor. I assume the pipe runs vertically, venting through the roof. On the second floor, there are 2 full baths that share a wall. Most of the fixtures are not in proximity to the main pipe, and I have no idea what type of connections...
  7. nola mike

Basement bathroom install questions

I've been on the 8 year plan for finishing my basement. But THIS is the year I actually do it. As part of it, I'm going to be putting in a bathroom. The house is 100+ ;years old, so who knows what's going on. However, I have floor drains, and presumably a cast pipe going down the center of the...
  8. nola mike

Heat traps on new WH?

Am about to install a new Rheem Platinum gas WH to replace my 40 gal 1988 (!) unit, which has recently started leaking. I believe the new unit has integral heat traps (there is plastic inside the metal nipples). The manual says "some water heaters have been supplied with[...]heat traps. These...
  9. nola mike

Tankless install questions...

Oh, and can I use PEX to connect my supply lines?
  10. nola mike

Tankless install questions...

I'm thinking about replacing my 25+ yo 40 gallon heater with a tankless model. Been looking at this one. I currently have 3/4" gas to the old heater (my whole house is I think under-supplied with 3/4" main, but the city keeps on insisting that it isn't...), and 1/2" water. It's vented through...
  11. nola mike

Thermostat Wiring question

Done. The voltage between the R wires is now 3vac. I get 24v between the TV and Z/T terminals. However, I get 24v between Z/T and ground--Doesn't this mean that the system isn't isolated and I have a problem? So, aside from being careful to turn of both units when servicing, any other...
  12. nola mike

Found it! Here's the setup for my boiler. I think I've figured out all the components in my boiler system. My initial pic was of the ignition control module. Second pic is the transformer--that switch above the relay is the aquastat. Fig. 11 is my setup, except that my ignition module...
  13. nola mike

Not sure what's a center tap? Behind the tag there's a screw terminal labeled "W". Underneath all 3 terminals is "thermostat". The black wire goes to a terminal "Z".
  14. nola mike

Oh, I know I'm overthinking things (see last post). Which is causing me to get confused over multiple simple things. But I don't have a separate power supply for the stat. I could add one, but I'd like to KISS.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks