Recent content by NewGuy

1. NewGuy

Drywall on ceiling above shower question

Thanks. I installed a Broan heater\exhaust fan vented to outside. I always use the fan in the shower but others in the house don't always so I have considered the humidistat.
  2. NewGuy

Drywall on ceiling above shower question

I used regular (type x) 5\8" drywall on the ceiling above the shower. The ceiling previously had 1\2" plywood with cellulose ceiling tiles (no shower). I removed the tiles and attached the drywall to the ceiling joists (24" spacing) and the plywood. I used mesh tape at the seam at first but...
  3. NewGuy

Shower Vapor Barrier Repair

Thanks for the reply. There is a slit about 2 inches long in the corner and a small tear about the size of a quarter also in the corner. I removed all the kraft (vapor retarder) facing from the insulation before installing it. I have only hung one cement board so I can remove it and replace the...
  4. NewGuy

Shower Vapor Barrier Repair

I used standard duct tape to repair a tear in the vapor barrier. I overlapped the tear a little and used the duct tape to hold it together. I read somewhere online not to use duct tape but to use Tyvek tape. There will be holes from the screws and a few staples anyway (staples only on top of the...
  5. NewGuy

Drain system for corner sink in bathroom

Thanks for the info. In the drawing, couldn't the angled sink vent be considered a separate parallel drain stack if it used fittings for a wet drain? I can't seem to figure out how the venting and draining would be different than if a just connected to a 4 way at the standpipe connection (I am...
  6. NewGuy

Drain system for corner sink in bathroom

I am removing a vanity and adding a corner sink to the opposite side of a small bathroom. Will the attached configuration work? I know the vent attaches to the main vent below the sink but I can't see why that would matter in this case since nothing drains above it (single story home). Plumbing...
  7. NewGuy

Adding Shower to 1/2 Bath - drain and venting

Sorry for the confusuon. I would be notching out the concrete slab. I should have said cut out a hole where the p trap can extend below existing grade. I have a clean out on the washer vent and will add one on the shower even though it is probably overkill.
  8. NewGuy

I think I can limit the rise to 4 to 5 inches above the existing floor by notching out the p trap location. It' s not ideal but makes it possible to add the shower without major reconstruction. I do have a couple more questions. Can you drain a sink in to a stack above a clean out? Does the sink...
  9. NewGuy

In order to get the 1\4" per foot, the drain pipe will be above the slab 2-3 inches. I was planning on raising the floor for the shower about 10-12" for just the shower to accommodate the drain system. This will create a step up in to the shower. Because of the way the drain pipes go through the...
  10. NewGuy

Thanks for the help everyone. One last question. The lowest I can get the bottom of the shower drain pipe is about 1.5" above the slab at the vent and 2.25" at the drain. I have an 8' ceiling. I can notch out for the p trap. I plan on using a one piece molded pan so no 2 stage drain is needed...
  11. NewGuy

I am adding a shower to a half bathroom. I want to use an existing sink branch for the shower branch. The vent and drain are 2" but I would like to use 1-1/2" for the first 3' (to the vent connection) of the shower drain if possible to reduce the hole size in the 2x4 (non-load bearing but...
  12. NewGuy

Brass union in wall?

Brass union I should have explained it better. I bought an Oakley washing maching box. The left valve installs with a quarter turn to lock it in the plastic box. The only way to remove it without a union is to cut the copper pipe and re-solder. I wanted to have the option to replace it...
  13. NewGuy

Brass union in wall?

I decided to install a brass union below the hot washin g machine faucet to make it possible to remove/replace in the future. It is a 1/2" sweat connection on one side and 1/2" threaded on the other. I ended up using two wraps of teflon tape over the brass seat to keep it from leaking (I know...
  14. NewGuy

Adding Utlity Sink - Drain and venting

Just wanted to say thanks. I ended up using the 2" combo on its back and using two 45 degree elbows to make the drop. It left just enough room (barely) to get the standpipe p trap in. Great forum.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks