Recent content by MrBoylan

1. MrBoylan

Replacing 2-piece cast iron toilet flange

Thanks. I saw that one in my research online but didn't see it locally. The plumbing supply store I went to closed 10 minutes early the day I went there so I had a limited selection of flanges at Home Depot. That type probably would not have worked well for my purposes as the waste bend only...
  2. MrBoylan

Yup. Won't know for sure until they look around. Thought about buying a scope to look around inside the waste pipe, just out of curiosity, but probably not worth it.
  3. MrBoylan

Can't see anything until we open up the walls. No damage to the sections of pipe or joints that are visible (except the old cast iron flange that only broke when I tried to reattach the toilet initially with the new wax seal). So I won't know more until next week.
  4. MrBoylan

I ended up replacing the broken flange with a PVC flange that goes inside the cast iron waste pipe with a gasket to form the seal. Had to cut the PVC down to fit as the lead bend (which is actually cast iron) turns a corner to the drain pipe only about an inch down. I used steel wool inside the...
  5. MrBoylan

Any other opinions out there? Is this the type of flange that needs an oakum/lead pour to set properly or is there an alternative? Because I'm thinking that's probably beyond my skill level. I'd like to be able to keep the bottom piece of the flange in place if possible as it means a lot less...
  6. MrBoylan

Hi, Thanks for the reply and the insight into this local practice (we are in Astoria, NY so what you are saying makes sense). The edges of the plaster of paris were cracking and it came up easily once I moved the toilet. Will check to make sure the floor is level before mounting the toilet...
  7. MrBoylan

Hey, folks. We recently noticed a bad leak in our basement that was coming from the pipes leading up to our second floor toilet. Have traced it to the toilet drain. I was hoping it was simply a wax seal that needed replacing but when I got the toilet out of the way, replaced the wax seal...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks