Recent content by mortimer

1. M

Copper tubing for a swamp cooler.

I spent a few days deciding whether to reply to this *very* dysfunctional thread. Fundamentally, it has been a waste of time. So, lets do a little history... - In my original post I tried to describe what I was trying to do and why I wanted to do it. - Then hj responds with "To use a...
  2. M

I might be making this harder than it needs to be. But... Why would I use a tube insert on copper tubing? Use a plastic ferrule on copper? The high torque is to compress the brass ferrule. Confused again...
  3. M

Yes. My issue is finding an adapter between the compression thread male end on the swamp cooler to the nipple and then the flare connector for the copper tubing. I *really* don't want to try to do serious torque inside the cooler. Actually I don't want to do serious torque at all.
  4. M

Befuddled and getting different answers depending on who I ask... I have a swamp (evaporative) cooler that has been running for several years on 1/4" clear plastic tubing. Unfortunately, this means changing the tubing every season. Second floor application and I don't like ladders. So I...
  5. M

Need a plug for a basement floor drain

Sweet. That was what I was looking for. Now to find someplace that sells them. Thank you.
  6. M

I haven't been able to find a good picture. It is called a floor drain with concealed cleanout. This picture is somewhat similar except: 1) Trap is about 30 feet to the right and 2) pipe continues to left of drain.
  7. M

That might work. The only issue I can think of would be the ears on the nut. Could replace it with a standard nut. Thanks!
  8. M

The drain is 50 years old. It might have been threaded at one time. The normal water flow is below the clean out. Let me see if I can find a picture...
  9. M

I have a cast iron drain in the basement floor that has a hole for running a snake down the line. The hole is a bit over 1-1/2" and not threaded. I'm thinking of using a cone made of rubber or cork to plug it when not needed. Any ideas on where to get or what the part is called?
  10. M

Where to get water heater anodes?

Looking for some places that have flexible magnesium anodes. Google is not really helpful in this case. The Big Box stores don't seem to carry. Live in Spokane, WA. Internet will also work. Is an A. O. Smith FGR40 gas model. As it is 14 years old, I suspect that the original anode is gone...
  11. M

Insulating basement hot water pipes

I don't think that I would insulate the pipes. While the cost should not be an issue, you might a fixing a something that isn't broken. As an aside, I live in a walk out basement and use a pellet stove to keep it well above freezing.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks