Recent content by moray

1. moray

no water for Christmas, please help! well pump suddenly not cycling

Hello, We have a Goulds 15S shallow well pump that mysteriously stopped cycling this morning. We have nothing but a trickle coming out of our faucets. The pump has a digital pressure switch (Amtrol), which is reading "31..88..31..blank..31..88..31..blank" etc.. Any idea what I could do to...
  2. moray

leaky fill valve AND shutoff valve

Thanks hj - that's really helpful!
  3. moray

One other question.. would the Fluidmasters tolerate some pressure variability (maybe 60-90 psi), assuming that the pump is set to 60/70 and the pressure tanks partially buffer the heat expansion? (I still need to determine the max pressure in the system.) Or should we swap these out with...
  4. moray

So we have sort of a strange set-up, where the pump stores water in 4 great big pressure tanks (Flotec) before entering the house. I think this is a reserve for fire-fighting (in case of an electrical fire?) and to have some water when the power goes out. We have a sprinkler system since...
  5. moray

Thanks for the quick reply! We do have a check valve, and it never occured to me that pressure could build up past the cut-off pressure of the pump (70 psi) though that makes sense now that you describe it. I'll investigate that further as you suggest. Is a fluidmaster style fill valve bad...
  6. moray

Hello toilet experts! We have a toilet with a fluidmaster 400a fill valve, which I suspect may be leaking due to debris under the valve seal. I have tried to adjust the float height, but that doesn't seem to stop the leaking. However, the shutoff valve is also leaking, and I'm not sure...
  7. moray

is our pump dying? can we fix it?

BTW, would a CSV be compatible with our current pressure tanks? If so, we'd like to install one of those now, regardless of what we do with the pump (repair or replace). The water is used for the house as well as a fire sprinkler system. Thanks again!!
  8. moray

Thanks valveman for the reply and the photo!! The CSV and small tank definitely look like a much more reasonable system than all of those huge pressure tanks, and I'm sure we'll want to do that as soon as those tanks fail. Are either of the pump problems that you suggested DIY repairs? (As...
  9. moray

Hello everyone, About a year ago, we were having some problems with our pump: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14716 In brief, we live on a steep hill and have a Sta-Rite multi-stage jet pump to boost the water pressure from the street (HMSF Series - 1.5 HP). Hooked up to...
  10. moray

pressure switch line blew off - please help

Gary - thanks for the insights here. I'm concerned about your comments below about water capacity for fire fighting. We have a total of 4 pressure tanks: One FP7135 - 320 Gallons (Vertical) Three FP7130's - 220 Gallons (Vertical) These are pre-charged pressure tanks (Flotec), and are rated...
  11. moray

perplexed by our pressure assist toilets

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the confusion (plumbing is clearly not something I understand)... I thought that it was a pressure assist toilet because it didn't have a float and had a little yellow tank instead, but my new theory is that it's one of these American Standard Smart Valve...
  12. moray

perplexed by our pressure assist toilets

We recently moved into a house with 2 pressure assist toilets (American Standard). I've never seen these before, so I'm a little confused about how they work and how to fix them... The first problem was that the flush on both toilets was really half-hearted. The flappers would shut after...
  13. moray

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. I'm happy to report that we were able to get someone else out to completely replace the whole pressure switch tube and fitting (for a reasonable cost!), and things seem to be working well now. There are still a few lingering issues however...
  14. moray

Thanks for the input. As far as the guy who repaired the pump a few days ago, it was someone from a fire sprinkler company. I didn't realize that the pump was pressurizing both the sprinkler tanks and the domestic water, and wasn't sure who to call. After trying several plumbers (who said...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks