Recent content by Mojoe

1. Mojoe

4 conductor to 3 conductor

I finally got an email reply from Miller - almost 6 weeks later - 2 hots and a ground. They said the generator was smaller than recommended but probably fine for 1/8" or less. Even with the welder turned down, it still burnt right through the old thin exhaust pipe on 230 V but put down some...
  2. Mojoe

Follow up - Here is what I found out. - here's a post with miller response. http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...=211+generator In an older post I was asking about using gen power/ THD with the 211. Thought I would share what Miller said about it. " The Millermatic 211 is pretty forgiving...
  3. Mojoe

- or after I got flashed when I pulled the trigger on the welder with the mask up.
  4. Mojoe

Reach4, I don't know if your illustration is supposed to represent a plug or the look on my face after I plug it in. Mine is the one right under that one in the list: 6-50. Thanks.
  5. Mojoe

DonL, The Miller Bobcat 250 [gas only] is almost 4K and the Mig wire feeder is another 1500 - 2000. A diesel version is around 8K and up. Check out cyberweld.com. It's only money. I tried to justify it when I got the 211 as it could be a stand by generator for the house also but it's just...
  6. Mojoe

Thanks, I was just trying to understand the last part of post #15. Duty cycle with welders usually relates to the percentage of time it can weld before overheating and shutting down.
  7. Mojoe

I realize the: twice the volts = half the amps part. It just seems to me that it would draw more if it was turned up.
  8. Mojoe

JW, Do you mean the welder will draw the same amount of power no matter what the setting is or how high I turn it up?
  9. Mojoe

I'm not sure what you mean by "intentionally misreading", maybe it's just terminology like my use of the word "plug" for cord cap. If I wire something with 2 hot wires and a wire that goes to the chassis, ground bus, or a rod driven in the ground, I call it a ground. I'm not trying to change...
  10. Mojoe

The welder is a Miller 211 but I don't have any internal diagrams. I was thinking the same thing about testing for continuity between the neutral and ground terminals with an ohm meter. Even if there is continuity, why use the neutral instead of the ground?
  11. Mojoe

I guess I wasn't specific enough about which lead I was referring to because I think it's right but I'm obviously no expert. I also have a 230V Lincoln stick welder that also has a 3 wire plug. It's always been hard wired to a 30 amp dryer type outlet fed by 2 hots and a ground. Some 230V...
  12. Mojoe

DonL, What you say makes sense except that if I were going to hardwire it at 240V, it would just be two hots and a ground so I would assume that the same rule would hold true for the generator but how is the neutral terminal different from the ground terminal on the generator? It's the source...
  13. Mojoe

Thanks for the input, definitely some things I hadn't considered. I can turn off the automatic idle control to eliminate the surge factor. Input amps @ rated output for the welder @ 230V is 24.3. The 230 receptacle on the generator says 27 amps - probably too close figuring in a surge factor...
  14. Mojoe

I have a Honda ES6500 generator with a 4 conductor 125/250V 30 amp outlet. I want to power my Miller 211 welder that has a 3 conductor plug. Do I just ignore the neutral since I'm going with 220 instead of 120? I couldn't find an adapter so I bought some parts and will make my own. Any thoughts?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks