Recent content by milesdf

1. milesdf

Highest efficiency/lowest cost solution, recirc loop

My boiler will allow a dhw priority zone which will override the outdoor reset temp, so I can dial in a setpoint for water to the heat exchanger. I can understand the comment about having shaky results using a plate type heat exchanger, which is where I think having a tank would be an advantage...
  2. milesdf

Highest efficiency/lowest cost solution, recirc loop

I currently have a mod/con boiler, buderus gb142-30. I'm thinking about upgrading my hot water heater, which is nearing end of life, to take advantage of the high efficiency boiler, and I've been looking into indirect hot water tanks, which seem to cost about 1000$ or more. I've also been...
  3. milesdf

Destroying cast iron wye from the inside out

I am replacing the entire stack, so damaging connections above is not a problem. I can secure the pipe from up above in the attic, in fact I wouldn't mind cutting a hole in the drywall and securing the pipe approx. 3 feet above the wye. The hub for the wye is hiding behind some nice tile I'd...
  4. milesdf

Destroying cast iron wye from the inside out

I'm going to start a project soon to gut my kitchen, exposing 2/3 of an old cast iron wye in the bathroom above. Two plumbers have now told me that the wye will probably not be able to be removed by dropping it out of the wall because the hub will catch on something, they recommend demoing a...
  5. milesdf

Help choosing a control system and manifolds for Hydronic Heating

I've fairly new to all of this, but I've researched the manifolds fairly heavily for my upcoming install. My input is that the actuators seem to be specialized for that particular brand and type of manifold, which makes me nervous for finding replacement parts in the future. The moving parts...
  6. milesdf

Iron radiator piping life span

How big are your rads/rooms? My bathroom is small and the radiator is small, so I'm assuming the 1/2" oxy pex would work well for that, there are two small bedrooms, roughly 10x11 each, with larger radiators, I'm not sure if 1/2" will work or if I should use 3/4". Have you had any issues with...
  7. milesdf

I'm not terribly concerned with the termination method for the ox barrier pex, I was leaning towards a type A with stainless steel clamps, but regardless, all of the connections should end up exposed, and with the ox-barrier pex which all seems to be the standard size, which I'm assuming will be...
  8. milesdf

Thanks for the input. There are 3" pipes in the basement, I think that would be another benefit of re-piping, moving away from those (eventually). Any preferences on material to replace with? Ox barrier pex appeals the most from an ease of installation perspective, I'm unsure of the longevity...
  9. milesdf

Service life of iron and copper: 80 year old house

Thanks for the reply. I'm somewhat worried about the waste line, I had redone the stucco on the wall where the stack is, and i remember the sheathing was cut out in places for the hubs of the waste stack to fit. I'm hoping the whole stack can be removed from the third and first floors without...
  10. milesdf

I asked this question in the plumbing forum (as part of a larger question), but I think it might be more appropriate here. I am embarking on a full kitchen renovation soon, and will be exposing the piping for at least 2-3 of the 4 upstairs radiators in the house, which is almost 80 years old...
  11. milesdf

Service life of iron and copper: 80 year old house

I am embarking on a full kitchen renovation soon, and there are a couple questions I have not been able to find good answers for on the internet. I figured I would ask them here, after using this site as a resource for years, I finally have a reason to register! My reno will start with a full...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks