Recent content by mikepdaviskc

1. mikepdaviskc

Shower valve rough-in, PEX...

Rugged, Like I said, the hansgrohe documentation is non-existent. I've searched their website but it's a peice of crap also. I'll call my dealer next. I thought 1/2" PEX is considered equal to 1/2" copper even though the diameter is less because it is smoother and has less fittings...
  2. mikepdaviskc

Lee, Did you do it that way because you didn't think the cpvc was strong enough to hold up the valve? In the case of my valve there isn't anything to hold onto...I't pretty much a small smooth deal with fpt openings. Here's a picture...
  3. mikepdaviskc

Hello, I'm installing a hansgrohe interactiv thermostatic mixing valve. The instructions for the rough-in component are non-existent. My supply lines are PEX. There doesn't seem to be anything on the rough-in component that would allow it to be attached to framing. This leads me to...
  4. mikepdaviskc

Wife wants a Water Softener. Bad idea?

There is some evidence that soft water is not as good for you as hard water. Google "soft water heart disease" and you will see what I mean.
  5. mikepdaviskc

Would appreciate critique of DWV Layout

hj, I agree about the elbow and I'm planning on incorporating that change...also, I'm planning on venting the downstream sink all the way to the top. I think my design is solid enough now that I'm ready to start gluing. And I finally understand the s-trap, now. Down, up, down before...
  6. mikepdaviskc

Hello, Is there anyone out there willing to give my layout a thumbs up?
  7. mikepdaviskc

Now that I've thought about it a little more, I think my first floor powder room is OK. I think the sanTee is more turbulent than the wye which breaks the flow after the trap and keeps a siphon from forming. Since I have a SanTee after the trap, I'm OK. I think. Anybody?
  8. mikepdaviskc

Now that I'm looking at the powder room configuration it looks like I've created another s trap. Any Ideas on how to do better given this small space?
  9. mikepdaviskc

hj and rugged, I'm really appreciating your help. About S traps and inspections...I understand how what I had was an s trap now. Interestingly, I had the same configuration in a powder room that I had inspected. I don't think I'm getting much for my inspection dollars. The first...
  10. mikepdaviskc

hj, I can turn the wye on it's back--I was trying to save a little space. I'm not sure why the lav drain is an "s" trap. The sink will have a p trap not seen in this picture and the vent will tie into the main vent also not seen in this picture. I don't honestly know that I understand the...
  11. mikepdaviskc

How does this look? Now I think I get what you mean about rolling the wye.
  12. mikepdaviskc

Rugged, You've said I could use a tee to connect the tub run to the vent but I didn't think I could use a SanTee on it's back. If I could use a SanTee, I probably wouldn't have to turn it much at all.
  13. mikepdaviskc

Rugged, Yes, the center pipe is a vent and I thought there was something not quite right about it. Thanks for identifying it. If there is a rule I can learn here it sounds like you shouldnt have a horizontal section of vent tied to a horizontal section of drain? Or in other words, if any...
  14. mikepdaviskc

Hello, I would greatly appreciate those who would have a look at this layout and provide feedback. You can't see in the picture but I'm connecting the vent for the sink on the right to the main vent with a santee and bushing. I realize the sink vent is probably not necessary but I've got...
  15. mikepdaviskc

PEX and spray polyurethane foam...

I like to use Polyurethane foam (Great Stuff, etc.) to fill pipe penetrations. Is there any reason to be concerned about it damaging PEX while it cures. There are warnings on PEX about contact with chemicals. I've googled this and not found any warnings but I would appreciate it if someone...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks