Recent content by Mike58

1. Mike58

[B]Anyone know the expected lifetime of a Proflex no hub coupling?[/B]

Redwood, I make sure the dry joints are tight by measuring the depth of each hub and marking it on the pipe. The plastic shopping bags make it possible to fully seat the joints and take them apart (usually without too much effort). They are so thin they are almost not there, but are...
  2. Mike58

Terry, you are so right. As I am doing these drains I am getting an appreciation for the plumbing profession that I could never get any other way. Thank you for prompting me to avoid the no hub couplings. I think I can find a way to make it work without them. I have found that plastic...
  3. Mike58

Thank you all for the information. Terry, I would like to avoid the no hub couplings for the toilet, but this is a tight spot where I have no room to move the pipe the length of the hub to make a glued joint. I have glued up the ground floor underfloor fittings already, and have a 3" combo wye...
  4. Mike58

I am planning to use some Fernco Proflex no hub couplings on ABS pipe. The joints will be in an exterior wall behind a tiled shower (new construction, no shower yet). It just occurred to me that this could cause much grief in the future if the couplings have a lifetime and the shower has to be...
  5. Mike58

Hubless coupling questions.

Are there limits on use of shielded hubless couplings? I am installing an ABS DWV system in new construction. Does the UPC limit the use of shielded hubless couplings, or can they be used just like a glued coupling (vertically and horizontally)? I have places where it looks like the easiest...
  6. Mike58

Shower drain and vent

hj, I put up a new post with drawings thinking this old post would be buried. But no reply yet to the new one. You can find it here https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?34894-Plumbing-bathrooms-and-kitchen Any suggestions will be appriciated. This is new construction (though...
  7. Mike58

Plumbing bathrooms and kitchen, UPC

Following are some pictures of how I plan to plumb two bathrooms and a kitchen sink. Any advice will be appreciated. Here is a picture of the bathroom drains and vents with the framing. Cinder block foundation not shown. Vents green, drains red. As you can see, the house was not framed...
  8. Mike58

Shower drain and vent

hj, Tell me what you need to know and I will draw it better. I will experiment with Google Sketchup to see if I can draw it to scale. Now is the time. Better to do it right now than have problems and have to tear it out later and do it again.
  9. Mike58

Shower drain and vent

Dohertyplumbing - Thank you for your help! It makes perfect sense now that you suggest it! I can do what you say, as the lav is on the same exterior wall shown in the drawing (on our side of the shower), so I can run its vent up through the roof. A couple of questions. I assume that if...
  10. Mike58

Shower drain and vent

I am an owner builder and it is time to plumb the drains (actually, it has been time to do that for longer than I want to admit). The idea is for the main drain (3") to run horizontally under the floor joists and through the foundation out to the septic tank. This means that for the shower...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks