Recent content by Mike Swearingen

1. Mike Swearingen

Hey John! How are you? It has definitely been a long time. Don't do as much on DIY Internet...

Hey John! How are you? It has definitely been a long time. Don't do as much on DIY Internet sites as I used to. Great to hear from you!
  2. Mike Swearingen

water lines, exterior walls, winter cold...

I'm not a pro plumber, but I would plumb the supplies to the toilet and shower up between the 2X2" furring strips on the inner wall, and the vanity sink lines up through the floor. You will have to remove some brick for the shower valve. I live in NC and the only time that I've ever had a line...
  3. Mike Swearingen

Shower Faucet Seat

Go to a pro plumbing supply house and look for shower faucets with extra large estucheon plates made for the purpose of going into the wall from the shower side to replace the faucet. The large estucheon plates will cover the larger hole necessary to remove the old and install the new faucet...
  4. Mike Swearingen

Water not running

"Floating" debris moves with water movement back and forth within the pipes and open valves. Turning other faucets on can cause the water to move in the pipes, temporarily removing the clogging debris. You have to dismantle the clogged faucets, lay a towel over them, turn the water pressure...
  5. Mike Swearingen

Crack in pipe from p-trap to wall

That cracked pipe appears to be copper. If it is, you should be able to cut it with a tubing cutter if you have turning clearance (or a hacksaw) and connect it to the trap with either a Fernco (neoprene rubber) coupling or a no-hub coupling (with a ss sleeve), and PVC pipe connected to the...
  6. Mike Swearingen

Septic maintenance

Been on septic systems now for more than 32 years. NC State University has done many years of extensive studies of all types. In a nutshell, their findings: A. All of those chemical additives are a total waste of money. Normal usage provides all of the bacteria necessary. B. The only...
  7. Mike Swearingen

Cold weather plumbing....longest thread ever

220/221, Everything that you've described is subject to freezing damage if it isn't properly drained and all traps anti-freezed with RV anti-freeze (including the built-in toilet traps). You'll just have to deal with this like everyone else...winterize it properly or repair it. Sorry. Good...
  8. Mike Swearingen

cleaning plumbers putty fingerprints of Stainless sink?

Oops! solvent and cleaner will dissolve most anything sticky, including chewing gun, adhesives, etc. Mike
  9. Mike Swearingen

Identify tub faucet valve

The valves probably only need new washers and o-rings. You don't necessarily need to replace them. Good Luck! Mike
  10. Mike Swearingen

Question on Replacing Faucets

Can't you simply renegotiate with your builder, select the other faucets that you want, and have the builder (sub) install them to begin with? I can't imagine that being that big of a deal. Mike
  11. Mike Swearingen

Rotten Egg Smell In City Water

Rotten egg odor in water (private well or public water source) is caused by sulphur or hydrogen sulfide in the water. There are various remedies for it. Just do a search for it on the Internet, and you will find everything from expensive treatment systems to "home remedy" booklets to solve the...
  12. Mike Swearingen

Hey John, Long time no speaky. How are you? Mike Swearingen (aka OldGuy, etc.) Formerly from...

Hey John, Long time no speaky. How are you? Mike Swearingen (aka OldGuy, etc.) Formerly from Gladewater, TX, Now NC.
  13. Mike Swearingen

Flange Trouble

If you can't replace it all from below, you may be able to stuff a rag down the drain pipe to keep the peices from falling in, hacksaw blade the broken flange into quarters (don't cut into the drain pipe too), and chip it out with a hammer and chisel. Clean the pipe up with sandpaper and...
  14. Mike Swearingen

help

If the tank is overflowing, there somehow is a clog in the overflow tube or more likely the toilet bowl itself. If the bowl is overflowing, there is a clog in the drain pipe. Which is it?
  15. Mike Swearingen

Email from landlord about bathtub leaking to condo below

All of this should have been disclosed to you prior to signing a lease. Demand that your landlord have this fixed properly by a licensed plumber before you get inadvertantly involved in any kind of legal situation regarding damages from your downstairs neighbor! Good Luck! Mike
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks