Recent content by Mike Armstrong

1. M

Wall Furnace Mystery

Thanks HJ, I'll try that. It's strange because the heater looks and runs like new. When I've had this problem with it in the past, out of the blue, for what seems like no reason, it would start working fine again. I've always thought that as long as it actually 'works' then it's not actually...
  2. M

Wall Furnace Mystery

I have an approx. 15y/o Williams Furnace Co. gas wall furnace model 6508532. Over the past year my furnace would occasionally not come on. I would check the pilot and sure enough it would be out. After relighting the pilot it would fire up and run as normal. Sometimes after waiting awhile I...
  3. M

Mortar ok for walls but not floor?

Thanks guys. Looking into this more I'm getting the drift that this stuff is exactly what I should NOT have used unfortunately. Me being a begginer at this stuff I made the mistake of taking the Home Depot tile 'experts' advice that this stuff would be best for a novice tiler to use. I've...
  4. M

Mortar ok for walls but not floor?

Hi, I'm using Simpleset brand, Thin-Set Pre-Mixed Mortar I bought from Home Depot for tiling my shower. So far it has worked very well on the walls. But, now that I'm about to tile the bottom 10" of the walls and the shower floor I noticed under 'Uses' it says on the container 'Do not use on...
  5. M

Tiling shower

Thanks Jim.
  6. M

Tiling shower

I guess another consideration when deciding 1/4" vs 1/2" is the tile, specifically the tile piece (I dont know the proper name) the would round over the edge of the protruding Hardiboard. Googling up a few threads revealed at least a couple folks saying that using 'standard' tile you will need...
  7. M

Tiling shower

According to the Hardibacker website, 1/4' can be used on walls, it just doesn't say in what circumstances. ?
  8. M

Tiling shower

Hi Jim, Thanks for the reminder of why not to use two vapor barriers. I haven't actually read anything that says 1/4" Hardbacker is ok over greenboard and studs. I have their installation guide handout but there is no mention of that. Is that ok to do for sure and sound practice (ya, I...
  9. M

Tiling shower

Ok, because not only is the width of the shower too narrow but also the entrance to it is too narrow(23", greenboard to greenboard), even if I rip out the greenboard and replace it with 1/2 backerboard the width's remain out of code. Structurally I would have to tear down the stem wall and move...
  10. M

Tiling shower

Thanks for the headsup Jim.
  11. M

Tiling shower

Thank you for the replies. The shower is small, only 28 1/2" x 59" (small old bathroom that used to have a tub). The hot mop pan was done using multiple layers of felt each mopped individually and sloped to the drain. It was done by an older guy who had been doing it for 40yrs! (he had some God...
  12. M

Tiling shower

I'll give it a try...
  13. M

Tiling shower

Thanks Greg, will do. Mike Sorry but, how do I post pictures?
  14. M

Tiling shower

Hi, I live in southern California, my 1950's home is all wood on a raised foundation. The contractors have remodeled my old shower. It's insulated, the greenboard is up and the floor 'pan' has been hot mopped with tar and the two piece drain is in place. Now it's up to my wife and I to finish it...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks