Recent content by MichaelO

1. MichaelO

I could have a FREE, and new, boiler. But I love my ancient boiler, can I keep it?

My experience (as a homeowner, not an HVAC tech), having owned homes with newer (less than ten years old) but not necessarily modern/efficient units (furnace first home, boiler second), is that the quality of the installation and maintenance has as much or more to do with the life of the...
  2. MichaelO

Correct valve for throttling?

Thank you John!
  3. MichaelO

Boiler pressure relieve valve leaking

Arepa, I'm also a homeowner, not an HVAC tech. Regardless, I've experienced a pressure reducing valve failure, and it didn't just fail outright: it became inconsistent, over pressure one day, no pressure the next... Regards, Mike O'
  4. MichaelO

Correct valve for throttling?

Hello all, I'm replacing my boiler. I've decided to go a supply side circulator. I'd like to add a boiler bypass. I'm having trouble identifying throttling valves. I'm not interested in the automatic type. I looked around for globe valves but, nowhere I've stopped seems to carry them...
  5. MichaelO

Water Heater Help

I've no doubt that the studies you are referring to are correct, on a bell curve, with the conclusion centering on an average household. Those of you from big families know, nothing average applies to you. I wonder if the tankless would still be at a disadvantage for large consumptions of hot...
  6. MichaelO

Water Heater Help

I'm embarrassed to even suggest the following, given all the thoughtful and educated replies but, having grown up in a family of eight children, I remember well how mythical a hot shower was. We burned out water heaters like they were going out of style, and installed the largest ones on the...
  7. MichaelO

Small leak in PVC piping

There is a product called "rescue tape" that might work. If it does, it will likely only be temporary. If the leak is on the pressure side, it will be temporary. Even the smallest leak will disintegrate particle board cabinets, delaminate even exterior grade plywood, rot floors, and create...
  8. MichaelO

trying to correct WM drain, add vent and sink, and meet code

Thank you Terry and HJ. I will go with AAVs in both locations and look into the 3" waste line requirement. I truly appreciate the assistance. Best Regards, Michael
  9. MichaelO

Pipe Snake stuck in dishwasher drain

Sounds very frustrating. I like HRG's approach but, chucking up the snake in the drill may not pan out. If not... Brains hate pain. Try again with gloves, or wrapping the snake in a rag. You'll be able to grip and pull with much more strength as it won't hurt your hand as much. I think HRG...
  10. MichaelO

trying to correct WM drain, add vent and sink, and meet code

Hello all, Thanks much to Terry and all the contributors. I use this site often and have always found all answers I need in the archives but, this time, I need more help. I have a washing machine installed in a closet that currently drains into a 1.5" drain, unvented. The run from the WM to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks