Recent content by Mchiarit

1. Mchiarit

Looking for info about Fluidmaster model 300

Anyone know anything about Fluidmaster model 300? I own a home purchased new in 2016 which has three toilets, each of which uses Fluidmaster model 300. Being unable to find a repair kit, I contacted Fluidmaster who responded by indicating that the entire flush valve should be replaced with a...
  2. Mchiarit

Gurgling sound under kitchen sink

There is a gurgling sound under my kitchen sink after water goes down the drain. It does not happen all the time and when it does occur, it usually does so after about five minutes. Even though I have never smelled sewer gas, I replaced the AAV anyway thinking it may be defective, but that did...
  3. Mchiarit

Plastic chips in sewer vent

Okay, so the tee for the vent connection should be a wye plus the location relative to the flood rim of the fixture is not allowed, is that correct?
  4. Mchiarit

Never mind, I think I figured it out. Since the weir of the trap is higher than the connection to the vent, it is effectively the same as an S trap configuration which is not allowed. I scanned in a picture from a Plumbing book produced by Time-Life. The middle illustration shows essentially...
  5. Mchiarit

Okay, what's wrong with the second photo? Perhaps I provided a misleading description in the post with the photos. In the second photo, water is flowing from left to right. Not seen, but just at the left edge of that photo, there is a 90 elbow and a pipe coming down from the sink drain.
  6. Mchiarit

Mystery solved! The chips are ground up egg shells. The accumulation was due to a combination of grinding egg shells in the garbage disposal (which, in and of itself was not a problem) and the faulty drain/vent configuration. As can be seen in the DrainOld.jpg, there was a horizontal tee (the...
  7. Mchiarit

Okay, my description of what I did was incomplete. I also ran a hose into the drain (beyond the vent) and unclogged that pipe as well. Discovering the clogged vent was actually an accident. I cut the vent in order to have access to the drain pipe (I'd probably have to take a picture of this...
  8. Mchiarit

I posted a picture of the bucket containing the chips. While investigating my clogged kitchen sink, I cut the vent pipe and discovered the plastic chips. They completely blocked the vent which was causing the drain to back up. After clearing out the chips, all is fine. After thinking this...
  9. Mchiarit

My vent was clogged with what looks like small plastic chips. I removed the equivalent of about a half gallon. After close examination, I thought that maybe the inside of the PVC pipe was deteriorating. However, where the stack goes through the roof, it looks fine. Anyone have any idea what...
  10. Mchiarit

Distance from main panel to subpanel (plus)

Thanks Speedy, you answered the two most important of the questions I had.
  11. Mchiarit

Sterling Esemble Tub

If you have not already installed this tub, I would simply place it on the subfloor and then build everything else around it. I can't imagine what it would "buy" you to put cement board (material that provides no structural support) underneath - unless you are simply using it as a spacer.
  12. Mchiarit

Running wire through header

Inspection done? I am curious. Did you drill the 3/4 hole? I suspect it was okay but would like to know for my own future reference.
  13. Mchiarit

Distance from main panel to subpanel (plus)

Is there a minimum distance between a main panel and a subpanel? If so, what is it? Also, is it acceptable to feed a subpanel from another subpanel? I have a main panel with a 200 A breaker (no other circuits) that feeds what used to be a main panel (it was converted to a subpanel when I...
  14. Mchiarit

Maximum number of fixtures

I am adding a sink and shower to an existing bathroom. Is it acceptable to feed both from 1/2" copper or do I need to supply separate 1/2" copper feeds from 3/4" copper? If the former, what is the maximum number of fixtures permitted from 1/2" copper?
  15. Mchiarit

New toilet install

It is my understanding that the .25" per foot requirement is for drain pipes less than 3". Since you are using a 3" pipe, it may be more or less stringent. In any case, whatever the code requirement is, I recommend you follow it even if no inspection takes place. In addition to having drain...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks