Recent content by Maxie

1. Maxie

Wallmount sink

Thanks for your reply. What kind of caulk would you use? Also, when you say a cabinet that sets up against the wall, do you mean a wall mounted cabinet? If I could find one that fit, I'd buy it if it weren't too much money. I haven't found the right dimensions though and they cost a lot. I...
  2. Maxie

Wallmount sink

I'm adding to this thread b/c this sink has still not been installed. After numerous delays, the bathroom finally got finished, all except the sink. It was installed, but it did not feel very secure. The plumber had to come back to do the drain pipe (b/c I had forgotten to order the sink's popup...
  3. Maxie

Wallmount sink

Ok another bathroom remodeling question... We bought one of those slick European wall mount sinks for this tiny bathroom and the contractor doesn't like the mounting system (I can see his point). First of all, the bolts that came with the thing are not long enough. He hesitates to change...
  4. Maxie

Baseboard radiator recommendation

By smaller I meant thinner. The Runtal is only 2" deep, and although the one we have might only be 3.5 or 4" deep, the floor area of the bathroom is only about 4.5 x 5 feet, so every inch counts. But, when I saw the price of the Runtal, I decided I would just let him install the regular slant...
  5. Maxie

Should all the tiles be installed with thinset?

The subfloor is plywood and I don't know the thickness (and am not at the house to measure it). The old floor was replaced with a new piece. I don't know the size of the joists. I assume it's whatever was typically used in 1963 for a floor over a basement. Lame answer I know. Are these other...
  6. Maxie

Is a latex fortified Portland cement mortar a modified thinset? Is it wrong to use that in the shower area? That's what he says he's going to use and if it's better to use a regular, or unmodified thinset, I would want him to do that.
  7. Maxie

Baseboard radiator recommendation

I have a 24" run of slant fin radiator in a small bathroom. I sometimes see more modern streamlined baseboard heating in pictures, but I have no idea what other products are out there that are inexpensive, yet smaller than your typical baseboard radiator. A google search landed me Runtal Flat...
  8. Maxie

I think he will use thinset on the floor (contract says Tile installed over setting bed with latex fortified Portland cement mortar), but mastic on the walls outside the shower. According to the contract, he will either do a tradition "mud job", with 15lb felt over wood substrate and galvanized...
  9. Maxie

I know. What do you do when you realize you may not have hired someone with the quality standards you thought they had? I was thinking of asking the GC how much more it would cost me if he put the best tiler he knows on the job. He said if glass tiles are involved, there's someone else he uses.
  10. Maxie

Ok, another thing I'm questioning with my contractor. He's going to lay the tile and said he will be using thinset in the tub/shower surround and mastic for the rest of the room. This is a 5x8 bathroom and will be tiled to the ceiling in the shower, and 4ft high for the rest. I was reading up on...
  11. Maxie

Bathroom remodel - This looks like a big mistake, what do I do?

I have a general contractor for the job. He is in charge of the plumber, electrician etc, and he is the one that had all the lame reasons for doing it this way. I'm starting to feel though that I could have been the GC for this job. I haven't paid the contractor in full though. About 1/2 at this...
  12. Maxie

Bathroom remodel - This looks like a big mistake, what do I do?

We're remodeling a 5x8 bathroom in my mother's 1963 house. New sub floor, tub is in, plumbing in, walls boarded up. We are putting in a new 2ft length of baseboard heating (hotwater heat), which is shorter than the old one so the pipes under the floor (accessed from the basement) had to be...
  13. Maxie

Can't decide

Thanks for all the advice. Just wanted to let you all know I ordered the Drake II, both b/c of the reviews and the size/aesthetics (narrow tank - only 15" wide). I'll post my comments in a month, or whenever this project wraps up.
  14. Maxie

Faucet advice

I need some advice on faucets/fixtures for the bathroom sink and tub. The entire bathroom is getting remodeled, and I've selected a sink with a single hole. I've noticed that some faucets are rated as low lead compliant, and I was surprised at how many of the Grohe faucets are not. I was...
  15. Maxie

Can't decide

Ok, so I know everyone loves the Drake II, and if it were my house, I think I'd go for that one. But, I'm doing a bathroom for my mother, and she just didn't like the Drake b/c she found the seat and the bowl so small (its very narrow) and thought it was very uncomfortable. So, I've been looking...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks