Recent content by Master Brian

1. Master Brian

Humidifier install question

I am a bit curious, does it make any difference which side of the system a humidifier is installed on? Reason for the question is every house I've owned has had the humidifier on the return air side, with conditioned/heated air blowing across the pad. Recently while helping my dad on his...
  2. Master Brian

bathroom heater/light power loss

Well, I finally made it back over there today. I opened up several wall outlets on the 3rd floor, which are on this circuit. I noticed, most of them were connected using the push in connections, vs the screw terminals. I also noticed most of the push in connections felt as if there was play in...
  3. Master Brian

I didn't have a volt meter with me, just a pen tester, but I never found any current at that receptacle. I also believe all connections were made via wrapping them around the screw, not stabbed in. My best guess is the receptacle on the 3rd floor just off the attic. It's an old two blade...
  4. Master Brian

Ok, just got back from my parents. Turns out there are two seperate circuits feeding this. I was messing with one of the switches when I realized the GFI had become energized at some point. Luckily, I am pretty careful about touching contacts even when I know there shouldn't be power, so I...
  5. Master Brian

Both heater and light are switched indepently. The overhead light and vanity both come on via the same switch. I checked in the vanity light and no 12/3 either. After I came home and typed this I realized that I don't think I actually opened the box up in the closet that has a light switch...
  6. Master Brian

I doubt this can be answered with the limited information I have been able to find out so far, but I'll give it a go. Maybe something will My parents have a 3 story house built in 1915. A 2nd floor bathroom has an older heater/light in the ceiling. On the light circuit of this is also a vanity...
  7. Master Brian

Antique Tub refinish

Well, the only thing I can think that might still be another code issue is that you operate the hot and cold seperately. Not sure if that's a code issue or not, but I had an inspector point out that a two handle tub faucet at my old house wasn't code compliant, when he was there to inspect a...
  8. Master Brian

Antique Tub refinish

One last thing, that came to mind, I was told that the nikkel finish is a longer lasting finish than the brass. Something about the nikkel being applied over the brass, but I don't remember the specifics. I just know I was hesitant spend about $700+ on my tub kit in a finish I worried about...
  9. Master Brian

Antique Tub refinish

I absolutely love my clawfoot tub. Mine is actually an antique, but there are also many available new from almost anywhere that sells tubs, so I don't think I'd say future parts availability will ever be an issue in our lifetime. Mine is 100yrs old and I bought brand new parts last year...
  10. Master Brian

Range Vent ??

Can I ask why that is? I don't have any other real options.
  11. Master Brian

Header Question

I have a 1915 Bungalow, in the kitchen is a box out, which likely used to be a back or side entry porch area. At some point in the past, guessing 80's, but really don't know, they converted the porch into additional kitchen space. When they did this, they cut out the wall studs between the...
  12. Master Brian

Range Vent ??

Yes, that would be bad. Luckily no matter what I do there won't, or shouldn't, be more than 6-12" of duct work at max. That is part of the reason, I'm kind of leaning towards adding a small flush mounth through the wall unit up on the side wall. The ceiling above the range will be have a...
  13. Master Brian

Range Vent ??

That's kind of what I have heard, I just can't think of any other good options. This part of the kitchen is a box out, which used to be part of a patio or rear entry. I am in the process of vaulting the roof over this area, to get rid of a low ceiling and add a bit of openess. The range will...
  14. Master Brian

Range Vent ??

I am trying to plan for a kitchen remodel and I need to figure out a good vent for my range. Problem is the area the range sits is surrounded by windows and no room above to mount a vent, so I'm looking into Pop-ups. Question is, does anyone recommend a good brand and CFM recommendation...
  15. Master Brian

Refinishing hard wood floors w/ stains

May or may not be helpful, but I've seen a product out there that is designed to, in my understanding, slowly stip the finish off antiques and such. I don't know if it only works on laquers or if it will work on stains as well. I'm sorry, I don't even know the name, but I have seen the product...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks