Recent content by Lkstaack

1. Lkstaack

Grohe Thermostat Mixer Problems

Mr. Euro My bathroom remodel project manager advises me to purchase two control units for the Grohe Smartcontrol thermostatic valve that I'm purchasing because "those things fail for all brands". Do you agree?
  2. Lkstaack

PEX Trunk and Branch

I'm going to have a professional repipe my 27 year old two story 2,800 sq ft house with PEX. He says that he will use a trunk and branch system and implies that it is easier and better that way (no crawl space or attic in the house). All the PEX information I've read online indicates that the...
  3. Lkstaack

Underground Natural Gas Pipe run

Reviving this topic for a similar question. In my Southern California city, both Poly and Type L is permitted for natural gas 18" direct burial. I received a quote of $1,300 for a 35' poly run from the stub outside my house to a fire pit, with a "tee" for a BBQ along the way and two turns. I...
  4. Lkstaack

Fizzy Water - One Faucet Only

Well, my second floor master bath is higher. Also, it never did it the first three years I have lived here; it just started. I'm glad it's nothing to worry about.
  5. Lkstaack

City water. Neighbors don't have similar problems.
  6. Lkstaack

My kitchen faucet started putting out fizzy water a few weeks ago; it looks carbonated and doesn't have an odor. Anybody have an idea what is causing it? It only occurs during the first second or two it is open and the water outputted quickly looks and tastes fine after the bubbles subside...
  7. Lkstaack

Ultramax II: The Same, Only Different?

I just measured the inside diameter of the two bowls to prove they are different sizes. However, they are the same.... as you said. I wonder why the II looks smaller than the 1 to me? Perhaps the added height? I think the lower 1 is more comfortable than the II, but I may feel differently as...
  8. Lkstaack

Ultramax II: The Same, Only Different?

I recently purchased and installed a Toto Ultramax II because I really liked the regular Ultramax I had. I found that they were quite a bit different in appearance and perfomance even though their descriptions were similar. Specifications indicate that they are both standard size with...
  9. Lkstaack

Shower Mixing Valve Replacement Advice

Crud. Assembly was a bitc*. Disassembly and reassembly will be a pain too. Well, like you said, its all part of the learning process. Thanks Terry.
  10. Lkstaack

Do I have to start over? I completed the valve installation only to find during pressure testing that I neglected to solder one each coupling joint to the tub and shower pipes. When I went back to solder the two joints, I found that the joints wouldn't suck in the solder. Did the leaking water...
  11. Lkstaack

Valve Fitting Advice I request valve fitting advice. As you can see, I've cut off the old valve and have around 1/2" clearance between the 4 pipes and the new valve. I was expecting to slide the couplings up the top and bottom pipes and then slide them down when the new valve is in place...
  12. Lkstaack

Thanks. Won't the water drain out of the cut pipes and open faucets inside the house?
  13. Lkstaack

Thanks, Terry. If I understand you correctly, the job will be alot easier than I thought. You are saying that I only need to cut the 1/2" pipe at the old valve and use couplings? I will be able to slide the couplings up the shower/tub pipes, so that is not an issue. However, you think...
  14. Lkstaack

Sodering Advice Well, I've taken everyone's advice and opened the wall behind the mixer valve. The piping is a little more complex than I anticipated, so I request advice how to proceed. My tentative plan is illustrated on the attached pic; please let me know if it . 1. Cut the copper pipe...
  15. Lkstaack

Thanks, Terry. I'll be sure to keep obvious flammables away from the torch, keep a barrier between the drywall and torch (tin foil?), and have a fire extinguisher next to me. That panel looks great, but I'm going to have to use something solid since the wall is a garage fire wall.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks