Recent content by lanachurner

1. lanachurner

Corner Toilet rough in dimensions

They want to tile the walls too. About 3/8" tile.
  2. lanachurner

Corner Toilet rough in dimensions

Hello all. I'm working in a bathroom here that has a corner toilet. They want to replace the toilet along with tiling the walls. Looking at the specs for corner toilets every one I see gives dimensions from the FINISHED wall to the center of the closet flange. The rough is usually measured from...
  3. lanachurner

Antique toilet 14" rough in

Hi all. I just stopped in to say hello. And to mention that I found a 12" RI toilet bowl. Nice one too. I had put this project on hold for a year and a half now. Just did a remodel and viola! there it was. I carefully removed it and brought it home. It has a bit of lime deposits but those will...
  4. lanachurner

Plumbing and Framing (non load-bearing wall)

This is not quite true. Drywall can be hung both ways. It's really all about avoiding butt/end joints in your rock as they are much harder to tape.
  5. lanachurner

About the only place you see 24"oc in residential framing is in ceilings where the trusses or ceiling joists are spaced that wide. But there you would use 5/8" rock. For residential walls where 1/2" rock is used the norm is 16" oc.
  6. lanachurner

I can follow your picture better than your writing. No it's not a big deal to have your framing less than 16"oc. It is something of a big deal to have it More than 16" oc. Sometimes I will cheat an inch or two but no more than that. As long as you maintain your 48" spacing for the sheetrock. How...
  7. lanachurner

Do not caulk around stools

For the most part I install ceramic floors in the bathrooms I remodel. Haven't installed a vinyl floor in years. On a ceramic floor I grout the bowl to the floor with the same grout as the tile. Grout can easily be broken loose and scraped off from both the bowl and floor. Not sure if it meets...
  8. lanachurner

Using muriatic acid to clean mineral buildup off of toilet bowl

No, it did not affect any of the rubber or plastic. If you think about it, pumping the acid solution from the bowl to the overflow tube pretty much bypasses anything in the tank - except for the rubber donut between the tank and bowl and the tube itself. But those are cheap enough to gamble on...
  9. lanachurner

Using muriatic acid to clean mineral buildup off of toilet bowl

We get quite a bit of mineral deposits here and the usual buildup in the toilet bowls. In the half bath i installed a very cool old pink toilet and sink so Like you, I hated to remove the deposits by mechanical means -pumice stone, etc. In the last 9 years I have done the muriatic acid treatment...
  10. lanachurner

Protecting a 66" tub during construction

I agree. Since you install the tub first and then install your tile board and sheetrock around it afterwards it is easy to drop a tool or some such and damage the tub while you are working on it. I use a 3/4" piece of plywood as a tub cover. Makes a good bench for setting your tools on, standing...
  11. lanachurner

How many items on a 2" vent?

Thanks Terry. I've been offline for a few days here so couldn't post a reply. Pardon me if I'm not following you exactly. I have 4 devices that need to be vented. One 2" for the WC and 3 1 1/2" for lav, shower and laundry. Do I collect them all into a 3" line that goes through the roof or...
  12. lanachurner

Installing cast iron tub

Use 3 covers under the outside feet and 1 under the inside ones. They are about 1/16" thick so the back slope works out just about right. If you buy the round ones for a light box they're only about $.40 apiece. Cheap enough... If you're really on a budget, buy those new fangled wedges they use...
  13. lanachurner

How many items on a 2" vent?

I'm looking at a job in a lake cabin in the northern part of the state. Complete gut on an old bathroom, switch the wc to the other side of the room, new shower, etc. I plan to cut off the old CI main below the floor and start over with ABS. I know I can vent the whole bathroom - wc, lav and...
  14. lanachurner

Best soffit vent w/ anti-backdraft, for bathroom vent fan?

There should be a flapper in the adapter where the air exits the fan bousing. There should be another flapper in the vent where the air exits the house - either wall or roof . There won't be much heat loss if you have both. Not sure what you mean breaking down. If you are satisfied with your...
  15. lanachurner

Best bathroom vent fan with light?

GE makes good fans. A little cheaper than the Panasonics. Quiet. I think most fans will be side vented but if you use 4" flexible, insulated duct it is no problem to turn it up. I recommend you use two switches. One for the fan and one for the light. Nothing gripes me more than to have the fan...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks