Recent content by knied1

1. knied1

Looking for some help on garage sub panel

ok, ill have to hold off until after my permit is satisfied..... He made a point of saying i can not send more then half my service to the garage / out building. Thanks again guys for your help
  2. knied1

Next spring when i upgrade the service to my house from 100 amp to 200 amp i am planning to do that......I just needed to get power into the garage for the winter, and wanted to make sure what i was running would accomidate future upgrade. Thanks for the input.
  3. knied1

OK, So over the weekend I did my install, I have one wire to each breaker on the house panel box, and one wire to each breaker in the garage panel box. From the house panel box, I have one wire from each of the buss bars, (one neutral, and one ground) to the box in the garage. I did not install...
  4. knied1

jwelectric, Thanks again Just an FYI What we do where i work is take a of pipe where the id is a little bigger than the diameter of the rod, and weld a piece of round bar to it, then if you set the hammer drill to hammer only mode it will drive the rod in super easy and fast. I looked around...
  5. knied1

OK, hopefuly this will be the last question....questions I am looking into the grounding rods, there are both Galvanized and Copper, I am assuming that copper is the way to go. Does 5/8" or 3/4" matter? Does the grounding rod have to be out side the structure, or can i core drill thru the sill...
  6. knied1

jwelectric, I MUST be missing something..... I did contact my local town building code office, They forwarded me to the Electrical Inspector / Code Enforcement officer. I told him what i am doing, and asked if he had a recomendation on where to purchase my materials. He told me to just go to...
  7. knied1

Homeownerinburb, I dont understand why you are pushing this soo much. My father had 50 amps feeding his workshop, and the breaker would pop every now and then, he raised it, since i will actuially be running more than he is i am going 100 amps. it is not like i am doing anything that is...
  8. knied1

I did an amperage calculation, before I started looking into upgrading the electrical, Lets ignore the things like clocks, radios, cordless battery chargers, and go with the following. 5 lights at approx 1 amp each 5 amps total, Welder at 24.8 (start up) amps Angle grinder 8 (start up) amps, Air...
  9. knied1

When i was at Home Depot last night looking into their different wires I told them that i did not want the URD, and wanted THW. There was an electrition there and he told me it was ok but only inside of conduit...... I am planning to call the town building inspector, but i am just looking to...
  10. knied1

I know that immediately I am over killing it, BUT within the next few years I am going to have a mill, and lathe in the garage, before you call me out they are both single phase 220. My father is retired and when he sells his house I can have them…….. Right now my son and I work in the garage at...
  11. knied1

How far are you allowed to run URD inside a structure? In the garage i would need to run it about 3 feet, to the panel, and in the house it would be about a 10 foot run into the panel. It seems to me it would be safer to have one run for panel to panel instead of 2 junction boxes, and splices...
  12. knied1

jwelectric thanks for the input but i need to hit you up again. The wire is 4 wire aluminum, and all 4 wires are insulated individually, one has a yellow stripe. I understand that i need to be sure of the W, or UF labeling on the wire before i purchase it, and 90 amps is more than enough for...
  13. knied1

sorry one more question I am told that the common and ground wires CAN be on the same bussbar in the house, BUT the ground and neutral need to be on separate bussbars in the panel. Is this true? and what is the difference?
  14. knied1

This subject may have been beaten to death, but here is my plan, and I have a couple questions. I am running a sub panel to my garage, I have already purchased the panel box for the garage from Home Depot, it was on sale, and included the 100amp main, 1 - 30 amp (240) and 2 – 15 amp breakers...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks