Recent content by Ken Tannenbaum

1. Ken Tannenbaum

boiler question about domestic water use

I have a 20+yr old boiler for heat and hot water. Don't quite get the relationship between the two. If my thermostat is set to turn off the heat, let's say during the summer, how is the boiler running to heat water for domestic use. Also, is there a different control mechanism I can install...
  2. Ken Tannenbaum

triangle tube excellence review

I'm in the northeast and have a 20+ yr old oil fired boiler that also heats the domestic water. A contractor's suggesting the Triangle Tube Excellence line and I see it doesn't get excellent comments n a rating's site. Don't know where to turn for advice, so here I am. We have 3 bedrooms...
  3. Ken Tannenbaum

french drain

I have a cement channel which exits from behind my house from which water runs across our septic system. The gutters work fine, the cement was done years ago to further prevent water in the basement and it all works well, except for running water across the septic. I want to ward off future...
  4. Ken Tannenbaum

French drain

I'm guessing a french drain is what I need, maybe not. The rear of our house is at the bottom of a steep slope of about 45 degrees. About 15 ft back from the house it levels out to a "platform" running the entire length of the house. The platform is at least 15 ft wide and flat, then the land...
  5. Ken Tannenbaum

shed roof needs a new hat!

Thanks. I want to be clear, what's there now is nailed down tar paper. Are you saying put the adhesive backed material directly on it, THEN apply new tar paper over that? ALSO, I don't need to lift the old paper? Again, 95% in good shape.
  6. Ken Tannenbaum

shed roof needs a new hat!

I've got a 170 sq ft shed with a modest roof slope in upstate NY. The paper roof has some ruts and dings, causing a leak. Anyone recommend a procedure for papering it over? I thought I'd cut out the imperfections and cover it with EITHER self-adhesive material like Ice and Water Shield or put...
  7. Ken Tannenbaum

240v wall thernostat works, but...

Thanks for the useful tips....I'll get to it this weekend without a doubt.
  8. Ken Tannenbaum

It's working fine so thanks for the advice....wish I was working!
  9. Ken Tannenbaum

I installed two baseboard heaters running off a 240v bi-pole thermostat and first wired it incorrectly blowing the circuit. The short happened at one of the radiators, not the thermostat. Now it's wired right and works, except that the instructions with the thermostat say it should make a...
  10. Ken Tannenbaum

sulphur smell in apartment building bathroom

I will definitely try this. Thanks very much.
  11. Ken Tannenbaum

sulphur smell in apartment building bathroom

The odor appears to come from just this one source, the cold water in the bathroom sink. The cold water in the shower is fine. Letting it run doesn't do any good. This on the 2nd floor of a ten story building erected in 1914. Any cause or remedy indicated? Thanks!
  12. Ken Tannenbaum

Covering a rusty tub drain

It's not possible to get under the tub in a bath reno we're doing and I won't take a chance of force twisting out the old drain. It currently has a strainer screwed into it and I'd like to replace that with a larger strainer that is wider in diameter than the drain so as to hide the rust...
  13. Ken Tannenbaum

tiling directly to bathtub sides

Appreciate the replies...the tub is not completely flat, that's the reason for the cement board...ALSO, this is the OUTSIDE of the tub, not the inside.
  14. Ken Tannenbaum

Real simple, I'm being paid to do what the customer wants.
  15. Ken Tannenbaum

Also. this is a cast iron tub in a 40/50 year old apartment building...I don't expect the tub can or will ever shift.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks