Recent content by Karl in NY

1. Karl in NY

Well-water temperature?

I'm expecting to treat for sulfur and pH, but my first question is whether the poly-pipe run from well to to house being insulated will benefit an electric tankless water heater...I expect that run will significantly cool the water drawn from 120' depth temperature and increase the load on the...
  2. Karl in NY

Well-water temperature?

I have a new well, northern NY, by canadian border...both neighbors have ~40' deep wells, but my driller didn't hit water until 125', and it turned out to be over 20-gpm and artesian, occasionally rising to over top of casing. I plan on setting the submersible pump at about 120', and wonder...
  3. Karl in NY

Irrigation system leaking

When I installed my personal irrigation system, my town's water supply did not have a backflow-preventer check-valve by the meter, so I was required to use a double check-valve. The Febco pictured is a single. My Flomatic is a double, and has 4 test ports vs. the two shown in the photo. Since...
  4. Karl in NY

PEX System Choices...

Having been badly burned by the polybutylene pipe fiasco, I have been reluctant to migrate from copper to PEX. However, my new drilled well will require treatment, initially for sulphur, then possibly for pH and hardness. All neighbors have H2S fart-smell water and generally treat with...
  5. Karl in NY

Moen Monticello, Mystery Lavatory Faucet?

I'm afraid I must answer my own question that is the topic of this thread. I hate it when people do that, but the tip that the faucet looked like a Monticello was the key to my discovery. Thank you, Smooky. From the following legal link, https://www.usitc.gov/publications/337/pub3332.pdf ...
  6. Karl in NY

Topside looks identical, but looking at parts diagram for the Moen Monticello it is totally different below the basin. The Monticello lacks the rough brass casting, and has retention hardware below, and no 12x32 screw holding the fixture in place. In addition, the Monticello appears to have...
  7. Karl in NY

I know a picture is worth 1,000 words, but no pic (forgot cam while packing for trip), so here's the 1,000 words... Three china vanity basins in same house, all with same faucets, 4" on centers. A look underneath shows only a machine screw (#12x32?) attaches top hardware to brass...
  8. Karl in NY

PEX A, B, Or C, With Hydrogen Peroxide Injection?

My new well water is something you don't want to get downwind of. Typical of the lakeshore area where I'll be building. Most people use either hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), or chlorine injection, followed by an activated carbon filter to remove the particulates that result from sulphur removal...
  9. Karl in NY

??? New Well, H202 Planned, PEX vs. Copper

Had well drilled a year ago, turned out to be over 20gpm at 125' and artesian, over-flowing casing some times of year. Driller advised against quality testing for several months, but was obvious very high hydrogen sulfide from odor alone, as are all neighboring drilled wells. The plan is H2O2...
  10. Karl in NY

Need specs. for Galvanized Pipe Project

Few/any local galv. pipe suppliers can produce evidence of conformance with ASTM B6/A385 and can't even certify country of origin. I recall the disaster well over a decade ago where black-iron natural gas pipe sourced from China caused many houses to either burn down, or to explode. This...
  11. Karl in NY

It is always assumed (under UL and NEC) that conduit will flood, hence the need for a "W" in the wire type designation (like THWN), indicating the need for waterproof wiring. I thought that UL/NEC specs might be more tightly enforced than plumbing specs. Rigid galv. conduit is approved for...
  12. Karl in NY

So, can I assume that Asian-sourced pipe is a no-go? With my project, there will be more water on the OUTSIDE of the pipe, since the interior is conveying air, not water, but will probably fill with water when the air pressure is not needed, hence I need zinc on both the ID and OD of the pipe...
  13. Karl in NY

I'm going to attempt building a DIY bubbler system to protect lake docks from ice damage...will use low-pressure (~6PSI), high volume air from a vane type air pump, probably one designed for an aerobic septic system that is designed for continuous-duty. I'm planning on a flushing port for each...
  14. Karl in NY

Galvanized iron pipe for underwater use?

I'm planning a DIY marine de-iceing system that will protect a dock from ice conditions, using low-pressure high-volume compressed air to bring warmer, deeper water to the surface, via a series of air holes drilled through 1/2" galvanized pipe. It's a major US lake (Champlain) that has a...
  15. Karl in NY

3-way switches with dimmers for lighting?

I have given-up on CFLs in general, now that there are semi-affordable dimmable LEDs...the dimming range on CFLs is awful, compared to LEDs and incandescents. I have seen Phillips dimmable 60-watt equivalent LEDs as cheap as $5.50 on sale. A relative out of state is supposed to buy me 20 at...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks