Recent content by jtech1

1. jtech1

Kitchen sink disposer drain advice?

Looking for advice on finishing this drain connection. Converted single sink to double and added disposal. Trap is too far from current drain line, which has half the trap fitting glued to it. Any way to do this without cutting the pvc drain line? If cutting is only way, what is best solution...
  2. jtech1

Combustion test port in PVC class 4 vent?

Seems like there should be a better way to do this... For my Phoenix Light, most techs want to just drill a hole in my exhaust PVC at unit for combustion test port and plug it when done. Local inspector goes by manufacturer specs, which state NO unglued joints in PVC exhaust. Do I insist that...
  3. jtech1

HTP Phoenix Light operation

I will post answer to some of these I have gotten for everyone to see... 1. The Warning icon appears when the tank temp or setpoint is >= 125 degrees and is just a scalding warning. Not a unit warning. I found this through testing... nothing at all in the manual. HTC confirmed it is scald...
  4. jtech1

HTP Phoenix Light operation

I just finished installation of an 80 gal Phoenix Light. I am pretty impressed with the unit, but I have some questions that don't appear to be covered at all in the manual, and I am hoping some of you can help shed some light on them for me. 1) No info in manual about what the "Warning icon"...
  5. jtech1

Fernco on direct vent from condensing water heater

From what I have seen, the shielded connectors are neoprene... so it may provide more stability (if that is needed) with the shield, but opens more questions about whether neoprene is ok to use. There should not be any weight on the connection anyway... if there is, the pipe is not supported...
  6. jtech1

Second paragraph... https://www.fernco.com/sites/default/files/literature/Flexible_Stock_Couplings_Submittal.pdf
  7. jtech1

I did a little more research... fernco couplings are made from PVC... and have the same 140 degree temp rating as sched 40 pipe. Condensate from condensing direct vent units produces water/carbon dioxide/carbonic acid. This fernco document indicates that they are compatible with carbon acid...
  8. jtech1

I am finishing the installation of my Phoenix power vent condensing water heater. I have a question about the vent connections to the unit. I see a lot of pictures online (and on these forums) where people have used fernco connectors to connect the intake and exhaust to the unit cpvc stubs. I...
  9. jtech1

Polaris water heater problem & replacement

I am finishing the installation of my Phoenix unit. I have question about the vent connections to the unit. I see a lot of pictures online (and on these forums) where people have used fernco connectors to connect the intake and exhaust to the unit cpvc stubs. I would like to do it that way...
  10. jtech1

The unit stubs for inlet air and exhaust are CPVC. When connecting that to the PVC runs to exterior, can I just use purple primer and CPVC cement or do I need to use all purpose cement for that one joint?
  11. jtech1

They indicated I should glue it back on with CPVC primer and CPVC solvent cement. But, I agree, that it does not look like a primer was used in the pictures... and it could be yellow ABS cement. But Oatey makes a 1-step CPVC cement in yellow also. Anyone else here have a HTC/Westinghouse unit...
  12. jtech1

Looking for some advice here... as I said above, my unit arrived with the condensate fitting detached. I talked to HTC and decided to try to glue it back on before I go for replacement of unit. They recommended using cpvc cement... but the design is not very solid... and if I use CPVC cement...
  13. jtech1

I received my unit. Now I am on hold with HTP tech support for two issues... 1) Looks like they changed the design in 2017 and there is no longer a condensate neutralizer cartridge... which is OK, I guess, but their literature still said it was there... and my condensate hose in the lower bib...
  14. jtech1

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on the two questions above... thank you!
  15. jtech1

Thanks, everyone! My unit is on the way... in the mean time, I have seen some of the HTP videos about gas pressure and combustion testing... 1) Their videos show a Testo 505 being used to check gas pressure pretty easily. I cant find that unit. Is there a good cheap unit that can do this for...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks