Recent content by Jrejre

1. Jrejre

Lint will be the undoing of me...

If you drain hose goes into a wash tub, just take a panty hose leg and slip it over the drain hose. I use a rubber binder to hold it. Leave it pretty loose - maybe 6-12 inches loose after the end of the hose. Cheap, effective, easy to replace. The other option, which I have also just...
  2. Jrejre

Timer for showers?

I just shut off the hot water. Wait about 60 seconds, waiting for the yell "DAD". They get the message. I usually have to do it a few times in a week. The problem seems to subside for a time.
  3. Jrejre

Opinions/advice on TACO Dmand recirc system

I will consider the Grudfos system too. Probably lower cost since I have 2 runs I need to cover. That would only require 1 pump, but 2 crossovers rather than 2 D'mand pumps. I still am intrigued by the D'mand system (see http://www.taco-hvac.com/en/products.html?current_category=59 )...
  4. Jrejre

Thanks Jimbo. What I can't seem to find is the spec on how much each HP pump moves/min. It would seem that the small pump would be ok, but I don't want to wait long for the water to circulate. Also, if anyone has installed these, how noisy are they? Do I need to provide any sound...
  5. Jrejre

I am thinking about putting in a couple of the TACO Dmand recirc systems at the ends of the long runs in my home. It's a 2 level house plus basement. They have a 1/40th 1/25th and 1/8th hp offer. I would guess the run in about 70 feet using 1/2" pipe for most the run. Any advice on what...
  6. Jrejre

New 'Old' House Woes -- Need a new sewer line?

I'd just replace it when it becomes a real problem. Sounds like just one of the "quirks" of owning an older (although not all that old) home. If it were me, I'd be happy with a clean out every year own two by a plumber and put my money into the roof, etc. that is likely more urgent. I...
  7. Jrejre

LPG new install for Gas Cooktop

Ronnie - just another idea. I too have LP. I found my local gas company to be very, very reasonable on installations and other work. You may want to call them and see if they offer something. I have done runs, made manifolds, etc., but on a new run, new tank, regulator I'd sure feel better...
  8. Jrejre

Basment Bath Plan Opinion

Why are you running the PVC so high up? Can't you just use a one-way vent? I'm in MN too and have one of these that exits the basement and us up about 3' from the ground. It's also in a pretty protected area that is not prone to drifting in the winter - so it never gets covered up. Seems...
  9. Jrejre

Water heaters

wyeme - I'd be interested to know what your LP gas and electric rates are there. I'm in MN and I pay about $1.19/gal for LP and $0.075/kwh (varys by season)...
  10. Jrejre

Looking for 4" 90 degree ellbow w/2 " wye built into it.

sulconst - to me it looks like #507, 612, etc. on your reference.
  11. Jrejre

What size pipe can I put through a 2x4

Why do you think that it is not allowed? The link has Figure 3 showing exactly what you are talking about. The note on Figure 3 says: "60% allowed in any non-bearing wall or in bearing walls with not more than two successive studs bored and doubled." Your situation is more complicated...
  12. Jrejre

Broke Rheem FVIR waterheater. Please help

You may have found this document or have other info that came with your unit. Anyway, this is the FVIR document on the Rheem web site. This does not seem to show the FVIR - but, does have the toll free number for replacement parts. Like others suggest, I'd call them and see what they have to say.
  13. Jrejre

Copper to PVC/CPVC Transition Question

Rio - don't they call those "No Hub Couplers"?
  14. Jrejre

Difficulty with minor gas leaks in my system

I'm a DIY'er - so take my experience as such... I am nuts about gas leaks. I have tested various houses / systems and indeed have found the shutoff valves to almost always be the source of any leak-down. I first put in brass / iron plugs or caps at each place a valve is installed. Then test...
  15. Jrejre

Sweating / soldering copper tubing

Always keep the torch aimed away from you and others (at least all others that you like) :)
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks